Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i think they are the same cut.
different parts of the usa call
the same item different names.

around these parts they slice butt into 1 inch cuts
and call them pork steaks.

i grind butts and make sausage from them.

Duncan, Like Larry said, they are the same cut different name.

Use a good pork rub, mop it with a mixture of apple juice and pork rub. Cook it to an internal temp of 190 deg -200 deg. and serve it up with your favorite 'Que sauce.

For woods I like to use a combination of apple and hickory (3 chunks apple to 1 chunk hickory).

i smoke mine until it hits 160 internal then wrap in foil and let that go till 200-205, at 205 it just falls apart

just updating smoked the pork butt I had we had some friends over it was close to 8 lbs I smoked it to 185 internal. I also made my own sauce my friends said that it was restaurant quality food there were 5 of us and we had about a half a pound left. Thanks for all the advice

Well the Seahawks managed to win this last weekend and now I'm on the hook to bring some meat to next weeks football game. Although I am certainly no 'hawks fan any excuse to smoke meat is a good one to me. After reading this thread I thought why not pork. fyi, This would be my first pork I've smoked

Just a couple quick questions...

Did you brime your butt?

How long did your 8 lb butt take to smoke and at what temp?

Did you mop your secert sauce on during the smoking, use water in a drip pan or did you dry smoke?

I used a dry rub that I made and the sauce I made was Bar-B-Q suace that we slathered on after it took almost 12 hrs I didnt brine it. I used some apple juice in the pan I smoked it in and then basted it every hour or so. the temp was 225-275 I did have a hard time controling the temp because it was my first time useing wood for heat I use charcoal but i thought I would give wood a shoot plus I could get a bundle of wood from WM for about $1.97 as to charcoal was around $5.00 a bag. It worked out fine though. I would give the sauce recipe out but I didnt realy measure any of the stuff I put in it. Let me Know if this helps you out any.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky