Pork Shot varations (suggestions welcome)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whtplainssmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
White Plains, NY
I've made pork shots in the past using a variation of Joel's (a.k.a. Solaryellow) recipe.  They are always a hit presumably because what can be wrong with bacon wrapped sausage or brats that are salty, sweet and smoky.  Any how, I plan on making some as an appetizer on Christmas and will be making a batch of the old stand by.  However, my uncle is diabetic and I would like to make some without the brown sugar mixture.  I would appreciate any suggestions for alternatives to the brown sugar/cayenne etc. mixture.

I've seen some people have tried a cream cheese filling with good success.  And Sqwib's lua pork shots, while looking fantastic, would have even more sugar.     Any other suggestions/variations would be great.

-Mike

My wife and I are both diabetic.  Splenda has a brown sugar substitute that seems to work pretty good.

Good Luck!

TucsonBill

I've used the Splenda brown sugar in other recipes and it seems to work fine.  The stuff I had was a "blend" so I think it still has some "real" sugar in it. You might want to double check that.

Last edited:
The following is from the Splenda website FAQ pages:

[h4]If SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Brand Sweetener (sucralose) starts from sugar, can people with diabetes use it? [/h4]

Yes. Even though SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Brand Sweetener starts with sugar, it goes through a process that changes it into a no-calorie, non-carbohydrate sweetener. The result is a sweetener that tastes like sugar, without any of sugar’s calories. And, like sugar, it stays sweet even when it’s used in cooking and baking.

The body does not recognize SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Brand Sweetener as a sugar. In fact, clinical studies have shown that SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Brand Sweetener (sucralose) does not affect blood glucose levels, insulin, or HbA[sup]1c.1-3 [/sup]In a meal plan for people with diabetes, up to 4 packets of SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] No Calorie Sweetener or up to 8 teaspoons of SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, are considered a “free food.” The American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association consider a free food to be any food or beverage that contains less than 20 calories and 5 grams or less of carbohydrate per serving.

Like other no-calorie sweeteners on the market, the granulated and packet products contain small amounts of carbohydrate (less than 1 gram per serving) that provide needed volume and texture. These common food ingredients, which include maltodextrin and/or dextrose, add so few calories per serving that all SPLENDA[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] No Calorie Sweetener Products meet the Food and Drug Administration’s criteria for no-calorie foods (<5 calories/serving).

That's for Splenda the main product.  The brown sugar I've seen around here is a blended product marketed as "Splenda Brown Sugar Blend".  According to the FAQ on the Splenda site, it does contain some sugar.  So it's not a totally sugar free product like the straight splenda product is. 

I would think as long as your friend can allow for "some" sugar it would work. 

Quoted from their FAQ page:
What is Splenda Sugar Blend?

SPLENDA[emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar Blend is a mix of pure sugar (sucrose) and SPLENDA[emoji]174[/emoji] Brand Sweetener. This product is designed to help you cut back on the sugar, while providing great taste and better baking qualities (texture and moistness, etc.) that you desire in your favorite recipes. In SPLENDA[emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar Blend, half the sweetness comes from pure sugar and half comes from sucralose, so you will only need to use half cup of SPLENDA[emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar Blend to replace a full cup of sugar in your favorite recipes. 

Can people with diabetes use the Splenda  Blend sugar products?

Yes. People with diabetes can eat a variety of food products, according to the dietary program prescribed by their doctor and/or a registered dietitian. These can include foods sweetened with sugar. However, meal plans for people with diabetes usually control total calories and/or carbohydrate intake. When used in place of sugar, SPLENDA[emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar Blend can help people with diabetes reduce their intake of carbohydrates and calories by providing half the calories and carbohydrates of sugar, but with all of sugar's taste. It is important to note that SPLENDA[emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar Blend does contain sugar, and other ingredients in the foods to which it is added may also provide additional calories and carbohydrates. People with diabetes need to count these calories and carbohydrates when planning their meals.

Sorry for not replying sooner, things got a little hectic and didn't get a chance to respond.  hanks for the suggestions.  I called my Uncle and he too recommended the splenda-mix.  My aunt uses it all the time for baking.  They came out just as good.  Also I figured as long as he didn't eat the whole tray, the amount of sugar in an individual pork shot is not that much anyway.  Thanks again for the suggestions!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky