Pork Loin Minus Fat Cap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ShinyFirefly

Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I'm doing a pork loin tonight and only have about 2 hours start to finish. I went ahead and trimmed the fat cap off because I know it won't have time to render. I typically smoke low & slow (with cap) to 140 degrees. Without the cap I was thinking 325 for one hour. Does this sound about right to everyone?

Has anyone ever gone up to 325 and lived to tell about it? Other than trying to crisp the skin on something or set the sauce? I'm curious too. Hope you'll come back and tell us your results.
I haven't done it. I would think smoking it faster and higher would help keep it from drying out, since you....cu..cu...cut the fat off of it. I'd, maybe, put some butter or peanut oil on it, or something.

I've never gone up that high myself. I'm a little worried. I think I may wrap it after about 30 minutes with some apple juice. I did inject it, so that may help.

I can always order pizza. :confused:

When you get an opportunity you might give this one try. We've made this for years and it's always great!
Enjoy!

Rotisserie Smoked Pork Loin Roast

Recipe By: Matt
Summary:

What makes this so good is the flour capturing all the drippings and turning the outside into delicious gold. We go heavy on the lemon pepper.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 lb pork loin tied together to make a roast, fat side out
2 tbs salt, maybe 3
2 tbs garlic powder, maybe 3
3 tbs lemon pepper, maybe 4
3 tbs flour, maybe 4

Directions:

1. Grill Setup Set grill on high (all burners), wait 15-20 minutes. Use the amazing-tube-smoker with hickory pellets, When grill is up to temp and the tube is producing smoke you’re ready.

2. Pick out a pork loin that’s 7-9 inches long. Cut in half so you have two 3.5” - 4.5” sections. Align the two halves so that the fat sides are facing outwards. Tie the halves together with butcher string every 1.5 “ or so.

3. Heavily sprinkle pork loin first with Garlic powder, then kosher salt and finally lemon pepper. The amounts lists are guidelines. Key word is ‘heavy’

4. Sprinkle entire roast including the ends with AP flour making sure it is covered completely. Secure rolled loin to skewer making sure it is centered.

5. Place on grill, turn on rotisserie, TURN OFF CENTER BURNER and close lid. Maintain temp at approx. 300-325º for 1-1/2 hours. Check meat IT after 1hr. When IT in the center (not touching the rod) is 140-145º, remove and let it set with the rod still in for approx 5 minutes. Remove rod and continue resting another 10 minutes before slicing.

Notes:

This is an indirect cook, make sure the center burner is turned off! Do NOT cook with a burner on under the loin. Tube smoker should be in the center as well.

The meat IT will continue to rise for a while when resting (15-20 minutes) which is why I usually pull it at 140º.

I have never smoked one that high but if you cook it in the oven you usually cook at 325-350 so I dont see why it wouldn't work Good luck

Also Matt ^^^ from the post above cooks his on the grill at 325 so i guess their is the answer

Reactions: ShinyFirefly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky