Pork Fat Off of Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
I cut the fat cap off of a Boston Butt and froze it until I got around to asking SMF if it's good for anything.

Do you use it for anything? 🙂

I am going to whip up some Boston Baked Beans and am thinking of throwing a hunk in there. What could possibly go wrong?

B

I think most folks use it for sausage grind.
+1 Classic. Have not done it myself but a few buds of mine swear it's the fat to use for beef sausages. I guess creamier mouthfeel and better bite than using beef fat. That said, I don't keep pork fat but do keep beef fat (tallow). It's killer for frying and searing. The flavor is of McDonalds french fries. They used to use tallow to do it but now they use some fancy blend with tallow flavoring.

Heck, send it to me. I can ALWAYS use more fat in my ground pork.

But seriously, turn it into salt pork.

• 1 pound pork scraps from belly, shoulder, or wherever, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 2 tablespoon regular salt (not kosher, if using kosher increase to 2.5 tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

mix thoroughly and either ziploc or vac seal and let cure for a week in the fridge.

then put it into your Boston Baked beans.

Reactions: BXMurphy
BXM, I cut off most of the back fat on pork butts when I'm making homemade sausage. It doesn't need all that extra fat as butt is marbled with fat. I save it for other sausage in which I'm using a lean cut of meat ,venison,moose or even a pork back strap which is really lean but makes a good sausage. I never tried any in beans but it sounds like a decent idea!

If it still has the skin on it, Season it up on both sides using your favorite rub, then place it in the over at 350 for about 45 - 60 min Skin side down.

This will crisp it up really nicely - Cut it down into pieces and it makes a great side snack.

That's an idea! I don't think it has the skin on it but I will look when I defrost it.

B

I will often use bits of fat to help start a fire - it helps to get the temp up quicker.

I like your Boston baked beans idea.

I like Alsta's idea too, but I don't think a boston butt has skin on it. A picnic would.

Good luck

Gee I never thought of the fire idea. That would work!

B

I think most folks use it for sausage grind. I think you could also render it for lard

Yeah... Cook in it like it was bacon grease but not as yummy. :emoji_sunglasses:

I've been making ghee to cook in lately. Super-high smoke point and really delicious. Love my popcorn with that with salt, onion and garlic powders. Oh!

B

Reactions: jcam222
+1 Classic. Have not done it myself but a few buds of mine swear it's the fat to use for beef sausages. I guess creamier mouthfeel and better bite than using beef fat. That said, I don't keep pork fat but do keep beef fat (tallow). It's killer for frying and searing. The flavor is of McDonalds french fries. They used to use tallow to do it but now they use some fancy blend with tallow flavoring.

I swear by tallow. That stuff kicks it up a few notches.

B

Reactions: zwiller
Heck, send it to me. I can ALWAYS use more fat in my ground pork.

But seriously, turn it into salt pork.

• 1 pound pork scraps from belly, shoulder, or wherever, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 2 tablespoon regular salt (not kosher, if using kosher increase to 2.5 tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

mix thoroughly and either ziploc or vac seal and let cure for a week in the fridge.

then put it into your Boston Baked beans.

Wait. WHAT?! Really? Bookmarked.

+1 for the WIN! Perfect! I'm on it!

Thanks for that, Hijack73!

B

BXM, I cut off most of the back fat on pork butts when I'm making homemade sausage. It doesn't need all that extra fat as butt is marbled with fat. I save it for other sausage in which I'm using a lean cut of meat ,venison,moose or even a pork back strap which is really lean but makes a good sausage. I never tried any in beans but it sounds like a decent idea!

You know, I've never tried making sausage but I see that everybody does it. How hard could it be?

I'll have to look into it (like everything else in here.. this place is NUTS for meaty ideas!).

B

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky