Pork Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vi_xon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Oregon Coast
I had some left over rub, so I used it for grilled chops this evening. Very excellent...

Started this at a high temp to seal in the juices, then cooked til done. The rub really made them special. I'll have to try smoking some chops one of these weekends...
c889a700_vbattach10720.jpg

That is a good looking Pork Chop. Wish my wife liked pork, so we had them more often.

Did you marinate or brine the chops 1st? I did that once and the chops were so juicy. I am still amazed at how different meat comes out after it has been exposed to flovorful transporting liquid for a little time. I want to find some really thick chops and try injecting them just because. If they come out good, then I will add them to teh rotation.

Actually, I didn't baste at all, but I wish I would have thought of using the Black Velvet/apple juice mix. (Still a newbie, so still trying to remember all the tricks! :? ) I did spray a little water just to keep the flames down. I rubbed it both sides with some of the rub I had leftover from Saturday, and grilled as usual. I used Jeff's rub on Saturday with a couple of modifications.

I believe he is referring to the mop I used on Saturday. I made it with 3 parts apple juice and 1 part Black Velvet.

Nice chop there, Vix! Looks like it came off of a good sized porker!

Just got my new Bradley Digital Smoker today and wanted to do something quick as a first try. Company coming and had only about 3 hours to get it done. Wife suggested pork chops and as I scratched my head and ran to the computer to check the forum for help I was wondering if I should order in pizza. After seeing Vix's I made a dash to the market and picked up six center loin cut, 1-1/2" thick chops.

Now the rest of the story.

Wife made a basic rub using the following:

1/8 cup coarse kosher salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon dried onion powder (flakes tend not to stick to meat)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (was mild to med. warm) like it hot up the dose.
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

Applied rub and immediatly put in smoker.

Smoked for 2 hours. Applied heat for approx. 1 1/2 hours at 120 deg.. Used digital thermometer to monitor internal meat temp.. Turned heat off when temp. reached 100 deg. and continued to smoke for remainder of 2 hours. Basted with apple juice prior to putting in smoker and at 1 hour during smoke. Used Bradley Special Blend chips (disks). Didn't have apple or I would have used them. Next time, maybe.

Next had grill heated to 350 deg. for quick sear and finish. Removed chops from smoker and placed on grill, basted again with apple juice. Turned frequently for proper browning and avoid charing. Again using digital thermometer when internal temp had reached 162 deg. (about 15 minutes) removed and served. Time may vary since I was opening grill frequently to turn chops.

Long story, quick meal, at least for smoking!

Sorry I didn't take pictures. Couldn't keep em on the plate long enough.

Results: Six people including me said they were the best pork chops they had ever tasted.

Sounds excellent Jim! I'll have to give that rub a try. I bet the celery seed gives a very unique flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky