Pork butt smoking times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So far smoking at 250. This is at 5 hours right after mopping

Attachments

• 20211230_160948.jpg
    20211230_160948.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 37
I just put them in a foil pan and wrapped tightly at 165. I plan to take them up to 205ish, rest and after they come down to 140 I will cool them in an icy water bath till refrigerator safe.

Thank you Douge, water rat. My thought was that pulling the butt and reheating tomorrow would dry faster. After your suggestion and some processing, I agree that I should pull, cool, and reheat tomorrow with some of the drippings I'm collecting.

Some of it is preference. I like them better and barkier at 250-275*F, but at work we go 12hrs unwrapped at 205*F (i.e. soft bark)

Roughly separating the muscle groups is another option instead of fully pulling. Put some water and those chunks in a loosely covered/cracked skillet and will get done faster than the pan in the oven. The horn and towards the loin side will still be in la

Last edited:
Hi all and happy new year.

Here's a rundown of my cook. I put butts in smoker at 1pm. Smoked for 6 hours the wrapped and finished in the oven another 6 hours, entire time at 250 (I mopped at hour 4 and 5 with stubbs vinegar based sauce). At around 1am I pulled out, put in cooler. At 5am they were down to 145-150. I pulled, and put in freezer bags, cooled in icy water and stored in refrigerator. Friday at 11am I put pulled pork in aluminum pan with de-fatted drippings and some chicken broth since I did not collected enough drippings. Seasoned a little more. My guest loved it. Brioche sliders with cole slaw and a vinegar finishing sauce. They were very delicious.

I have some left over that I will reheat in the next day or so with Malcom Reed's killer hogs just to try something new and I will share my results here

Thanks everyone for your guidance during my cook. I could not be happier.

My take away was I am now in the 275 camp and cook before event, store and reheat. It just take some of the pressure and stress trying to guess the cook time. On shorter cooks like ribs or chicken is not a problem.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe for newbies like me, this may be valuable information.

Keep on smoking.
Bbq dreams in Wildomar CA

Attachments

• 20211231_162247.jpg
    20211231_162247.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211231_182252.jpg
    20211231_182252.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky