Pork Butt Rubs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woody

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You know, I told myself, I'll keep smokin' when school starts (I'm a teacher) and I'll do it every weekend, and I'll be on the board every week....and I was wrong. I log back in and it's been TWO MONTHS since I've been here. Yikes.

So, uh, Happy Holidays, including Halloween, Turkey Day and Christmas.

I'm going to do a butt in the next couple of days (father in law got me a gift certificate to the local butchers) and I wanted to do a homeade rub, usually I've been going with store-bought. Suggestions? As in....leave your recipes here? :)

Got a cure for that two moth lapse... make www.smokingmeatforums.com your home page. Then you don't have a reason for not checking in.

Barbecue Rub

2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons black pepper -- freshly cracked or coarse ground
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
4 Tablespoons paprika
All you do is throw them together and mix them well. Cover meat on all sides. Adjust sugars or peppers to taste.

Keep Smokin

Heh. If I did, my wife would say "What is this?" and "Where is the regular homepage?" and "Why did you change it?" and then I would have to change it. :)

I do love my wife.

Really, I do.

I understand. If you're running IE7 then add a second homepage on the next line, which will open two tabs with two different homepages. Otherwise, it's all up to you. Hurry back we miss ya when you aren't here. :)

Keep Smokin

Pork Rub

½ C. Brown Sugar (sifted)

4 Tbsp. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

1 Tbsp. Celery Salt

2 Tbsp. Onion Powder

2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder

1 Tbsp. Chili Powder

1 Tbsp. Paprika

1 Tbsp. Black Pepper

½-1 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper (depending on how hot you would like it, can be left out)

Mix well in a bowl or shallow dish and apply as any rub.

Here is one I like.

Meowey's Pork Rub

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
¼ cup paprika

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Here's a basic rub that I've used and liked:

1/2 cup brown sugar packed and dried
1 tablespoon each of:
Salt, Pepper, Onion Power, Garlic Power, Chili Powder
1 teaspoon cayenne for a little heat

Add paprika until you get your desired color. Too much paprika makes the bark gritty, so don't use more than you have to.

I like this recipe because its easy to remember.

Don't be afraid to taste your rub and adjust anything as you see fit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky