Pork Butt fat content ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerrykr

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
How much fat content do you guys think the average pork butt contains? I like to use around 30% fat in my german sausages, and can pretty easily estimate what I have going in with beef. I've never been too sure with the pork butts however, so am hoping someone has an idea.

Thanks!

I always thought pork butt and chuck were basically 20%...i certainly could be wrong though and i think i should go reread some stuff to make sure
biggrin.gif

I always have the problem figuring fat in chuck. Pork butt is really easy to trim and seperate fat/lean to figure out how much of each is in any given butt. Chuck though always seems to be more dispersed and harder to trim and figure the fat content.

For you pulled pork gurus :
I've got a 9 pounder I'm gonna smoke for pulled, but am gonna be really pressed for time. Would it affect the flavor/texture/tenderness if I cut it in half and smoke it in 2 pieces? How much fat should I leave on it?
jdr37 in Florida

all the sausage guys around here will tell you a non enchanced butt, will average 30% fat content, perfect for sausage making............

jd...........yeah.......its okay...........wait a minute.........this must be BONELESS?......with a bone in.........not sure on that one dude........also i never really trim my butts........i smoke fat side down (the fat cap ), and let it drip into dutch's beans underneath.......LOL

Yeh Dude, it has the blade in it -- if I cut it I'll have to figure out getting by it -- I wouldtn't want to mess up my band saw!

heck, that aint going to hurt the band saw.........saw RIGHT thru that bone.............tho its going to leave a mess, cleaning it up.....LOL..............

you should be fine then..........BUT, if one half has a larger bone than the other, it MAY be diff finishing times.........interesting experiemtn........make sure you take q-view of the entire progress, that will make a VERY interesting thread............i see POINTS in your future......lolol

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Fat in a pork butt will generally run 20% by weight, not volume. People confuse the two, but all sausage making should be done by weight. Fat weighs less that lean because it has less water content. 10% vs. 75% water. The volume makes no difference. Go by weight.

Reactions: PPG1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky