Pork Belly Prices ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigTurtle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
What are you good folks paying per pound for a whole pork belly skin on ?

I'll look later I just bought 2 the other day from Costco

With this Covid-19 we have been trying to shop at local butcher shops, found a small butcher shop tucked away in an industrial area that sells belly for $9.39/kg($4.27/lb.) He buys all his cows and pigs locally so as meat packing plants are being shut down due to virus outbreaks he still has full shelves.

Was paying $2.99lb here before all this stuff went down. Haven't checked lately. My neighbor is making a Costco run this week and he's supposed to grab me a couple bellies if they have them in stock.

Got my last one late Feb. or early March and and it was around $3 at Costco. About all I use it for is bacon and I should have enough for a while.
The only place I've seen it with the skin on is at the "International Market" and frankly I didn't trust the looks of it...
What do you use the skin for? Just curious.

I buy all my bellies for bacon through my suppliers at work. I pay $3.16 CAD. I am told this will be dropping quite a bit and soon. Gonna load up with a couple of cases for a big bacon run.

Reactions: BigTurtle
Got my last one late Feb. or early March and and it was around $3 at Costco. About all I use it for is bacon and I should have enough for a while.
The only place I've seen it with the skin on is at the "International Market" and frankly I didn't trust the looks of it...
What do you use the skin for? Just curious.

l cut the skin off and discard it, a waste of money but that’s all I have ever seen in the stores. The butcher will cut the skin off for me but I still pay for it.

Reactions: BigTurtle
I buy mine from a local butcher/meat locker. We don't have any Costco's near here. We have Sam's and they've discontinued pork belly and will not order any even though I said I would take a case lot. My meat locker sells them whole, skin on but FROZEN for $2.99 a pound. Not a good way to have to start my bacon runs.

Last week I paid $2.49, skin off, frozen, at my local family owned butcher/locker. They are now resting in the cure.

It turned out very well. This is post smoking with cherry wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_115506929.jpg
    IMG_20200507_115506929.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky