Pondering a problem--really need some help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
A friend of mine had a pig butchered--just cut up, wrapped, and frozen. Nothing smoked.
Here's the problem. The butcher was obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. He sliced up the entire belly into thick cut (1/4") slices. Cut it up so it looks like bacon, but isn't cured or smoked. My buddy is NOT a happy camper.
He asked me if I could do anything with all this sliced pork to turn it into bacon. What do you folks think about this?? (Aside from the fact that he should have just shot the butcher!!!)
I've only made one batch of bacon, using John's method ( Bearcarver Bearcarver ). The bacon turned out fantastic except for being a bit too salty, so the next time I planned to soak it for an hour before smoking. Can I, and how can I, use John's TQ and brown sugar method on this already sliced belly? How would I calculate the amount of TQ and the curing time? Any guesses on soaking time?
Gary

I'm just spitballing here since I've never cured and smoked already sliced belly, but I wonder if you could tie it all together with butcher's twine, weigh it, and use the appropriate amount of cure.

I don't know if I would shoot the butcher, maybe a warning shot across his bow. as for curing and smoking is there any way you could tie it together and make like a roast and maybe cure and smoke it that way. as for curing I usually use pop's brine. maybe bearcarver can help with the curing problem.

Reactions: tallbm
A friend of mine had a pig butchered--just cut up, wrapped, and frozen. Nothing smoked.
Here's the problem. The butcher was obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. He sliced up the entire belly into thick cut (1/4") slices. Cut it up so it looks like bacon, but isn't cured or smoked. My buddy is NOT a happy camper.
He asked me if I could do anything with all this sliced pork to turn it into bacon. What do you folks think about this?? (Aside from the fact that he should have just shot the butcher!!!)
I've only made one batch of bacon, using John's method ( Bearcarver Bearcarver ). The bacon turned out fantastic except for being a bit too salty, so the next time I planned to soak it for an hour before smoking. Can I, and how can I, use John's TQ and brown sugar method on this already sliced belly? How would I calculate the amount of TQ and the curing time? Any guesses on soaking time?
Gary

I would try laying it out flat in a ziplock, with the right amount of TQ & Brown Sugar, by weight. Then cure it for the right amount of days (by thickness), which won't be many, if it's not stacked very thick. Salt Fry test it to see if it needs soaking, and continue from there.
And I agree---Shoot the Butcher!

If you actually want to do this, contact me & I'll go into more detail.

Bear

I would try laying it out flat in a ziplock, with the right amount of TQ & Brown Sugar, by weight. Then cure it for the right amount of days (by thickness), which won't be many, if it's not stacked very thick. Salt Fry test it to see if it needs soaking, and continue from there.

Bear
bear are you talking about the curing or shooting the butcher!

I'm just spitballing here since I've never cured and smoked already sliced belly, but I wonder if you could tie it all together with butcher's twine, weigh it, and use the appropriate amount of cure.

I don't know if I would shoot the butcher, maybe a warning shot across his bow. as for curing and smoking is there any way you could tie it together and make like a roast and maybe cure and smoke it that way. as for curing I usually use pop's brine. maybe bearcarver can help with the curing problem.

Thanks. I never thought about doing it that way.
Gary

Bear

Thanks John. I had thought about that, but we're talking about a whole belly here. I don't think I have that many ziplock bags.
What do you think about the other two responses that suggested stacking the slices up and making a large piece out of them?
Gary

also if you know your local butcher maybe he can run it through a netter for you, you might have to break it up in 3 pieces or so. this might make it more uniform.

You could try a 10% brine method. Take the weight of the meat and add 10% of the weight in water. Then use a standard bacon cure recipe for the weight of meat, water, and salt. I can provide formulas or calculations for you if you wish.

I see this posted alot. No one really has a answer. I agree with Bears way of bunching it up and curing. I see JC posting the 10% cure which I use alot on my hams I cure and turn out great. I think pops cure would work too. BUT do you have cure #1 or can you get it? That will determine what process you can use.

BUT, what do I know.?

Reactions: JC in GB

Bear

Wow you folks in PA really take your pig butchering seriously:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:.

Chris

I had the same problem once... Pop's told me just to tie them up.. So I did.. I did a really lousy job... I was pretty disappointed with the results... as for your last time being to salty... I'm gonna have to say that's the results of using TQ instead of cure #1... So I say just do the best you can and see what happens ...

WAITTTTTTT.... Take the slices back to the butcher and tell him you want to trade for a whole belly (instead of shooting him)... I know it won't be from the "homegrown" hog... but ...

Reactions: webs05
What do you think about the other two responses that suggested stacking the slices up and making a large piece out of them?
Gary

I like that---As long as you can keep them tied together good, so they don't move around & separate.
Then I would measure the thickness of the thickest place to get your curing time in days, going by my formula on my "Bacon (Extra Smoky)" step by step.
That one will give you the amount of TQ to use per weight too.

Bear

I like that---As long as you can keep them tied together good, so they don't move around & separate.
Then I would measure the thickness of the thickest place to get your curing time in days, going by my formula on my "Bacon (Extra Smoky)" step by step.
That one will give you the amount of TQ to use per weight too.

Bear

Oh what do I do lot of suggestions here Gary keep us posted for the final.

Warren

Yeah, this is the route I figure will work the best. So I'll give it a try.
I'm real busy with work right now, working 12 hours a day 7 days a week (except for rain days), so just not sure when I'll be able to start.
I'll definitely post this smoke. LOL
Gary

It's called side pork. Fry it like bacon with a little salt. Or smoke it and cure it the same as bacon. No harm no foul

Yeah, this is the route I figure will work the best. So I'll give it a try.
I'm real busy with work right now, working 12 hours a day 7 days a week (except for rain days), so just not sure when I'll be able to start.
I'll definitely post this smoke. LOL
Gary

At least its not ice road trucking now. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky