Poll: Propane source

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
A co-worker was asking me what to do with an old propane tank that was coming up to it's "due date". It had the old valve with no external R/H threads and no OPD. I told him that I have gone from waiting for a gas station attendant to just doing the exchange at Home Depot. 

Now, the last time I went to the service station the only guy in the store said, "You'll have to wait 30 minutes for [other employee] to get back from lunch". I was not only furious but I really let the kid know that I am a customer and I do not have to wait for anything. If you can't sell it now, then you will not sell it at all. I promptly went to HD and paid a little more for the exchange, but I received a full tank and was on my way in a matter of minutes. I've been doing it since..

My co-worker cannot get over the fact that he will not get HIS tank back. I cannot convince him that a tank is a tank.. He definitely has no experience with welding gasses and the like..

I don't see a poll..

There was an error message with the system.. bummer

Last edited:
Here, the exchange joints charge $20-$30 dollars for an exchange. Or, you can go have it filled for $7 at any Mon n Pop Hardware or RV joint.The exchanges are a rip off. UNLESS...You have a shiddy, un-refillable tank that you need to pawn of on some unsuspecting kid at Home Depot that doesn't know you aren't allowed to fill those old style tanks anymore and you're just trying to get a new tank. Conversely, You can take the old tank to a scrap metal place and they will take it off your hands for free. THEN, you can go to any hardware, buy a new empty tank for $15, go have it filled for $7, and still save $8 over the shiddy Blue Rhino exchange rip off.

Edited for naughty words.

If the guy is really that big on getting his tank back,

he can take it to any propane dealer.

They will do the tank inspection and put in the OPD and 

give him back his tank.

That's assuming that his tank can pass inspection.

Probably cost him more than a new one before he gets done.

Here a new tank is $30, refill in summer $6.50, exchange tank $16.

Ed

Last edited:
Only time I've ever gotten upset about a tank is when my dad borrowed mine, used all the gas, and then exchanged it with my propane gauge still attached to it.

A tank is a tank as long as it's one of the new ones.

Unfortunately we don't have anywhere around here that fills tanks commercially anymore. Exchanges run about $12 though so it's not bad.

Last edited:

One of the local natural gas/propane places has all the refill spots around here, other than the one at Lowes. I think they actually do fill tanks but their office is about an hour away so not worth the time.
I usually take my empties to the local feed/farm/garden store.  They're not the cheapest place but they are the nicest to deal with.

The Blue Rhino tanks here are only 3/4 full.
I think thats all your going to get with the OPD valves. The Americas exchange where I get mine states that all cylinders contain a net weight of 15 lbs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky