Polish sausage fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Made a batch of Polish sausage last weekend. The meat mix had great flavor and stuffed well into the casings.

I wanted to do a hot smoke on them being it is summertime. I started my smoker up and thought everything was ready to run.

After 8 hours, my sausages were only up to 140 F and were dry like jerky. Just awful.

I am certain that the culprit was a poorly placed thermal probe for my controller. Lesson learned.

Now I really feel like I wasted 20 pounds of pork cushion and about 14 hours of time making these tasty Polish projectiles.

Yes, they tasted good but were hard and dry. I am wondering if I should pitch them and never mention them again or find a use for them?

Any suggestions?

JC :emoji_cat:

Polish sausage stew. That has me thinking.....

This could be worth a shot.

Kielbasa with Cabbage/ Potatoes
My Mom would pull out her biggest pressure cooker and fill it with a couple pounds of cut up Kielbasa, a head or two of cored/quartered green cabbage, Russet potatoes peeled/halved, a chopped onion or two, a whole stick of butter, a palmful each of Kosher salt, coarse black pepper and crushed red pepper.
Then add about a quart of chicken or vegetable stock, and enough water to cover.

Was one of my favorite dinners... Haven't had it in way too long, need to fix that.

Kielbasa with Cabbage/ Potatoes
My Mom would pull out her biggest pressure cooker and fill it with a couple pounds of cut up Kielbasa, a head or two of cored/quartered green cabbage, Russet potatoes peeled/halved, a chopped onion or two, a whole stick of butter, a palmful each of Kosher salt, coarse black pepper and crushed red pepper.
Then add about a quart of chicken or vegetable stock, and enough water to cover.

Was one of my favorite dinners... Haven't had it in way too long, need to fix that.

.... that sounds really good, and that quantity would probably feed at least a couple of teenage boys ;)

Reactions: chilerelleno
If it is anything like the dry crumbly batch I somehow screwed up, the garbage can was the only solution. I still can’t figure out what the heck I did!

No such thing as a fail in this house. We would make something out of it.

If they're a little salty and smokey I bet they'd be pretty good diced up in some fried rice. I'm also guessing you are your toughest critic.

Something like that, I'd love it.
I will sometimes dry out Hillshire farms on my smoker, slice thin, and make hoagies out of it. That's a lot, but I'd put a dent in them before I tapped out lol

JC in GB... I have been making both fresh and smoke sausages for over 20 years. I have had my share of mistakes. I've burnt them, scorched them, forgot to add cure #1, had casings bust in the smokehouse, forgot to add salt, ran out of casing in the middle of stuffing 200# of smoke sausage, and had plenty of bad recipe experiments-some of which I just had to throw away. It was all a learning experience...

Here's a new one that happened just today.. I had stuff everywhere while making salami today. So I turned and set the food lug of the meat that I had just weighed out on the stove top range...the only free spot in the kitchen. Well the lug slid just right and turned the burner on. No idea how that happened. I freaked out when I started smelling plastic! Reached over real quick, turned the burner off, and shoved the meat to the side. Only had one piece of beef with a little cooked part, so I trimmed it real good (meat was 31* in the food lug) and discarded the cooked part. I went to the ice chest where I had the beef on ice and cut a small replacement piece. Sometimes, crap happens...just got to roll with the punches, adapt and overcome...and learn from it!
IMG_20200826_155340.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky