Polish Pickle Soup...with Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
This soup is due to the courtesy of Joe, xray xray ! I seemed to have missed the soup that jcam222 jcam222 made similar to this only keto style... and Jeff, yours looked delicious...but can't compete with your gorgeous pics you take!
I will say I followed Joe's recipe almost exactly so if I miss something go look at his thread.
First his recipe, and yes I'm lazy and slow typer so you get a screenshot

Screenshot_20230104_131036_Chrome.jpg

Didn't take a pic but started by mixing 1/4 cup flour with 1/4 cup pickle juice, then add 1 cup sour cream and set aside till later.
Got all the ingredients prepped, the mixture of flour, pickle juice and sour cream is in center.

20230104_184226.jpg

Melted the butter then added carrots and onions into pot till tender

20230104_184827.jpg

Add pickles and cook a few minutes

20230104_185247.jpg

Then added chicken broth and potatoes...cook till tender. Then reduce heat and add flour, pickle juice, and sour cream mixture. Along with the 1.5 tsp Old Bay seasoning, black pepper. I withheld the cayenne pepper, I wanted my wife to enjoy it and not be too hot for her. Also, I only added 3/4 cup of pickle juice instead of 1 cup...figured I could always add more.

20230104_194753.jpg

This was kinda spur of the moment soup but it couldn't have worked out better on timing...just so happened my wife came home with a loaf of bread given to her at work that day

20230105_163540.jpg

Time for some garlic toast in the oven!

20230104_200912.jpg

I tried the soup just like this to begin with...

20230104_201205.jpg

Then I felt I wanted to try it with cheese!

20230104_201247.jpg

That was sure a tasty batch of soup! Was a great meal for a cold snowy night!
About the only thing I can add is...Thanks Joe! My wife didn't take much convincing and she liked it. Will definitely be made again!

One more thing...I really like the new soups group...makes finding them very easy without adding them to my endless bookmarks...which this soup was at, just down aways!

Take care!
Ryan

This is still on my list to try as I’m a big fan of pickles. I’m wondering what you think about the kind of pickle to use. The harsh jar cheapie pickles or a fancy gourmet plastic tub fridge pickle? We use the harsh ones on our pizza as the flavor isn’t cooked out. I’m wondering if the heat does the same to the pickle?

Not sure if the pickles matter or not...these were Vlasic kosher dills that we had on hand.

Ryan

Reactions: Sven Svensson
The soup looks pretty good Ryan and glad you enjoyed it! It's definitely an easy one to make with the ingredients being pretty common in people's pantries and fridges.

My wife took convincing after I told her what I was making, but she enjoyed it by the second spoonful. I actually made some not too long ago and two of my coworkers wrinkled their noses about it, I brought some in and they both ended up liking it.

I'm going to have to remember to top it with a little cheese next time it gets made, thank you for that idea.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Awesome! I agree that the new Soup group is a new favorite too. This soup has had me fascinated ever since the first post I saw. Really well done, I think your pics are beautiful! Points!

Looks delicious! Well done, my friend. I'm gonna pass on trying it myself since I'm really not much on dill pickles, or anything sour, kraut being the occasional exception.

The soup looks pretty good Ryan and glad you enjoyed it! It's definitely an easy one to make with the ingredients being pretty common in people's pantries and fridges.

My wife took convincing after I told her what I was making, but she enjoyed it by the second spoonful. I actually made some not too long ago and two of my coworkers wrinkled their noses about it, I brought some in and they both ended up liking it.

I'm going to have to remember to top it with a little cheese next time it gets made, thank you for that idea.
Thanks Joe! It's a keeper for sure! And we really enjoyed it with the cheese!

Ryan

Awesome! I agree that the new Soup group is a new favorite too. This soup has had me fascinated ever since the first post I saw. Really well done, I think your pics are beautiful! Points!
Thanks Jed! I appreciate it! We sure liked it! Beautiful pics...you dipping into the wine again? :emoji_laughing: I'm just kidding lol.

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Looks delicious! Well done, my friend. I'm gonna pass on trying it myself since I'm really not much on dill pickles, or anything sour, kraut being the occasional exception.
Thanks Doug! I'll keep my pickles and you keep the kraut! We'll both be golden!

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
Thanks Jed! I appreciate it! We sure liked it! Beautiful pics...you dipping into the wine again? :emoji_laughing: I'm just kidding lol.

Ryan
🤣Not tonight, I had my venting last night and better today….except the hangover! Can’t bounce back like I used to, but some days drive me to the wine🤣

Great soup Ryan and you did good by Joe

And the cheese on top is like gravy on potatoes, lol

I can see me trying this ,BUT I am not a fan of dill pickles but I do love sweet.
So i might try this with my bread and butter brine and my mustard pickles,

sounds weird but what the hay. I've made weird food before

David

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky