Planning the build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatnbeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Cross Plains, WI
I have 1 55 gallon drum and access to 4 more right now, as many as I want as long as I wait for them to empty.  I have been looking at a few of the builds on here and I have a question before I really start the plans.  The answer will decide which I make, horizontal or vertical. 

How many racks fit in a vertical UDS?  Everything I am looking at seems like they only have 1.  I like to do large smokes, so.......

I got 3 in mine. If you can get more Drums you can make a stack UDS. just cut one off below the first rib on the drum and stack it on another drum. I started one. been waiting for a good weekend to burn it out and paint it but old man winter just won't leave this year ( we got snow coming in on sunday) here the link to the one I started Stack UDS

How much space do you get between each rack and how much space above the coals? Do you use a diffuser above your coals?

How much space do you get between each rack and how much space above the coals? Do you use a diffuser above your coals?

I have 2 racks in mine,with Weber lid.First one is about a inch down from top and the second is about 5 inches below that.I do use a diffuser,that is nothing more than a piece of foil with holes poked in it on another grate that is about 6 inches above the the fire basket.

I have 2 racks in mine with a pizza pan buffer that holds a water pan.  I don't use the water pan every time.  My buffer is a perforated 18" pizza pan.  For my lid I used the bottom of a 22.5 Weber it gives me more room on the top rack.  My top rack is about 2" down from the top and gives me room to do 4 beer can chickens.  I'm still learning how to use the "top" vents since the ones on the bottom of the kettle are much larger than the 4 holes on the lid. 

If you can find a Weber 22.5" on craigslist that has both grates you are way ahead of the game.

B

My first rack is 5" and the second is 6". I can get a big fat turkey in the smoker with no problem. I can also pack my UDS with plenty of pork butts. I think if you are using a Weber lid you can can place your rack closed to the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky