Planning my Mini WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So lump burns hotter than briquettes typically. I would quit using the chimney and load your charcoal basket with unlit fuel. Add your smoke wood on top. If using lump try and pack it as tightly as possible in the basket. Close up the smoker open all your vents. Take a propane torch, light it and stick it in one of the holes of the side vents in the base. Run the torch for 3-5 minutes remove. When you get 15-20 degrees above your target pit temp put the meat on. The temp will drop. As it starts to climb start closing down the lower vents. Leave the lid vent wide open for entire smoke. Try and not over shoot your temp by more than 20 degrees as it's harder to come down than go up.

Weber cube work this way too. Just takes a bit longer.

So lump burns hotter than briquettes typically. I would quit using the chimney and load your charcoal basket with unlit fuel. Add your smoke wood on top. If using lump try and pack it as tightly as possible in the basket. Close up the smoker open all your vents. Take a propane torch, light it and stick it in one of the holes of the side vents in the base. Run the torch for 3-5 minutes remove. When you get 15-20 degrees above your target pit temp put the meat on. The temp will drop. As it starts to climb start closing down the lower vents. Leave the lid vent wide open for entire smoke. Try and not over shoot your temp by more than 20 degrees as it's harder to come down than go up.
Excellent advice, I appreciate that.  So would I be more beneficial to switch to a hardwood briquette rather than fool with lump in this small smoker?  I used my chimney to start a small handful of coals to place in the middle like a minion method start, I just started too many my first attempt.  I'll def try the torch though

I like lump, but the consistency of the burn I get from KIngsford blue is why I go to it usually. Especially for long cooks. If I am doing a 1-4 hour cook I will use lump. 4-14 hours I use the Kingsford. And yes you can get a mini to run 14 hours on a full basket of briquettes on a perfect day.

I like lump, but the consistency of the burn I get from KIngsford blue is why I go to it usually. Especially for long cooks. If I am doing a 1-4 hour cook I will use lump. 4-14 hours I use the Kingsford. And yes you can get a mini to run 14 hours on a full basket of briquettes on a perfect day.
Oh wow, thats some pretty impressive results.  I'll have to get some KBB tomorrow, and fuel for the torch.  So essentially I would be lighting a small portion of the briquettes on the side instead of in the middle as I was with the chimney?

Oh wow, thats some pretty impressive results.  I'll have to get some KBB tomorrow, and fuel for the torch.  So essentially I would be lighting a small portion of the briquettes on the side instead of in the middle as I was with the chimney?

Yes that is correct. Now one thing with the side light procedure, don't get worried when your out temp hits like 400!degrees in 5-8 minutes. Once you pull the torch the temp will drop pretty rapidly back down to below 200.

If I'm doing a low temp smoke, I light one side for 3-5 minutes. That's anything below 300. If I'm doing high temp like for chicken then I light one side for 3-5 minutes, then the other side for 3-5 minutes. High temp chicken smokes for me range from 350-425.

Tip, lump or briquettes pack as tightly as you can in the basket. 3-4 2"-3" chunks of smoke wood on top.

Yes that is correct. Now one thing with the side light procedure, don't get worried when your out temp hits like 400!degrees in 5-8 minutes. Once you pull the torch the temp will drop pretty rapidly back down to below 200.

If I'm doing a low temp smoke, I light one side for 3-5 minutes. That's anything below 300. If I'm doing high temp like for chicken then I light one side for 3-5 minutes, then the other side for 3-5 minutes. High temp chicken smokes for me range from 350-425.

Tip, lump or briquettes pack as tightly as you can in the basket. 3-4 2"-3" chunks of smoke wood on top.
Update: loaded the basket with KBB and used the torch to light.  Worked great, I do want to cut a small spot out in my basket to light through though so that the direct torch heat wont decrease the integrity of the basket over time.  Temps been holding at 230 for almost 4 hrs.  I've got some ribs in there now, so very soon we will have a finished product.  Sorry for no pre-game pics but I will post some of the final product.

Update: loaded the basket with KBB and used the torch to light.  Worked great, I do want to cut a small spot out in my basket to light through though so that the direct torch heat wont decrease the integrity of the basket over time.  Temps been holding at 230 for almost 4 hrs.  I've got some ribs in there now, so very soon we will have a finished product.  Sorry for no pre-game pics but I will post some of the final product.
Yep the side light method works great. I have been using it for several years now. I wouldn't worry about the basket, three years and going on mine and the torch hasn't done a thing to it.

Yep the side light method works great. I have been using it for several years now. I wouldn't worry about the basket, three years and going on mine and the torch hasn't done a thing to it.
Alright awesome.  I just noticed the expanded metal was glowing red while lighting and thought that may cause some damage or something.  Thanks again for the kick start.  Ribs just finished up so I'll have some pics up soon

Some may have saw this already but I wanted to post to the thread I started about it. Finally got it finished and the weather allowed a test run today. The first smoked meat will be on hold until Friday. Hoping to have enough of a grasp on my mini by Easter for when my parents and in laws come for dinner.
I know I am late... But GREAT looking unit Iggy!

I know I am late... But GREAT looking unit Iggy!
Greatly appreciated B!  I've done a few smokes on it and learned a lesson or two along the way haha I love the mini though.  Since for now it's just my wife and I, the size is just fine.  I know before too long I will want something with more size for cookouts this summer, parties, etc but this mini is performing at top notch right now.  I appreciate the input and advice along the way.  Everyones been super helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky