Planning arrival and first cooks for new Woodwind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wahoowad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Virginia
Did a bunch of research and comparisons which led me to purchasing a Camp Chef Woodwind (with sear box and front shelf) for my first pellet grill. I bought it primarily for smoking, but the more I read about it the more I'm thinking it might completely replace my Weber Spirit propane grill (which I will sell) and sideline my 18" WSM (tuck it away in the garden shed) and get back some deck space :).

It should arrive late Wednesday afternoon, and I'm estimating an hour to assemble. This means I need to decide what to plan to cook for dinner! I'm thinking a reverse sear tritip to experience both the low smoke mode of the grill and then the sear box. Or if I can't find a good tritip then same plan but with a fat ribeye.

Is there any pre-cook cleaning or burnoff recommended?

Can you get Tritip in VA?

Mine arrived, easy 45 minute assembly, 300 degree burn in. Reverse seared a steak and finished on the sear box, all went great. My next 2 smokes were longer smokes - a brisket for the first one, then 3 racks of spares. Both of these cooks exhibited repeated temp swings of 40+/- degrees and clouds of smoke so Camp Chef has sent me a new controller. It won’t arrive until late Saturday, calling for rain Sunday, so not sure when i’ll get a a decent stable smoke under my belt.

Yes, I can get tritip if I want to pay like $11+. That’s what I just saw at Wegmans. It got me thinking my next cook might be a poor man’s burnt ends using a cheap chuck roast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky