Pizza stone recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You might want to check these guys out, steel not stone. I owned a pizza shop in a previous life and swear by a good stone oven but I've been watching these for a while for home use and really considering it.

http://bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel/

I have a couple no names at home and a Pampered Chef one that was a gift. I've had that one to 550 and had no problems but I'm still thinking the steel one is in my future one day.

I have two of the Baking Steels and have never looked back!

Take my advice. . .Stop wasting your money on pizza stones and buy one of these. You can use it for multiple tasks. Making Pizza in the oven or on a grill, baking breads of all kinds, and it can also be used as a griddle. And it will never crack!

Initial cost is made up by not ever having to replace it.

John

A great

I have a cordierite rectangular stone that I use quite a bit. It has gone to 650 On my grill and it works well. My only problem is that it tends to produce a burnt odor when using indoors. Even when I scrape really clean. Anyone have any hints or tricks to get rid of the smell? I have also been thinking of a steel. I bake a lot on my stone now and my 13 inch cast iron too.
Well, I used to have a pizza stone.........

After about 4 years of pretty good use, my stone met its demise last week at the hands of my daughter. I can't say that I was all that upset, and she's only 17 and it was an accident. I can now get me a steel, like I have been wanting for some time now, but just couldn't justify since I had a stone.

Like it is said "in the end, it all works out after all".....

Pizza stones are great if pampered.

Various precautions need to be taken with them.
  • Must be completely dry
  • Cannot drop cold pizza sauce on them when cooking pizzas.
  • Must be handled carefully.
  • Expensive
  • Etc.
We have had our stone for about 12 years now, it lives on the side shelf of the gas grill when not in use, I think it came from Christmas tree shops, something like $10. I don't baby it, but do put it in the grill right after I light it to come up to temp. When it finally dies I will just buy another cheapy or cut a hunk of plate stainless at work. Steel is ok if you buy a fancy one with a coating, I work with stainless and would go that route over rusty steel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky