Pit Viper - Medium and Ceramic Adaptor Plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chickenwings

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
Somehow I figured the Pit Viper with a Thermoworks Signals would be the hot ticket for me but it turns out the Pit Viper won't work with Signals. This means I've got to sell the pit viper (only tested, never used) and the adaptor plate - one crease in it from trying to install, hardly noticeable and again, like new condition. MSRP is about 70.00 plus taxes and shipping, I'll ship them to you for 40.00.

Howdy JC. The controller will indeed activate the fan. Problem is, Thermoworks Signals controllers only work with Thermoworks Billows fans when it comes to temperature control.

I called Thermoworks to ask about controlling the Pit Viper with their Signals and they said "nope, Signals will only work with Billows".

Just curious. I am using a Pit Viper and adapter flange with an off the shelf PID controller. I just needed a low side driver to run it. Is the issue that the controller doesn't provide enough current to run the fan? Or what is going on that it won't work?

What kind of smoker are you trying to run this on?

I can possibly help you figure this out if you are interested and save you a few $$$..

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Chickenwings
Thanks very much JC.

I'm running this on a Kamado Joe.

It's the logic. The controller's brain refuses to recognize anything but a Thermoworks product. There's plenty of power, plugging in the unit starts it up but there's no signal from the controller telling the blower what to do.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks very much JC.

I'm running this on a Kamado Joe.

It's the logic. The controller's brain refuses to recognize anything but a Thermoworks product. There's plenty of power, plugging in the unit starts it up but there's no signal from the controller telling the blower what to do.

I see. That is an issue. If there was some kind of signal, I could build you an interface that would work. Well, that is too bad. Hope you get this resolved. Having a pit controller makes things much easier.

Good luck...

JC :emoji_cat:

Somehow I figured the Pit Viper with a Thermoworks Signals would be the hot ticket for me but it turns out the Pit Viper won't work with Signals. This means I've got to sell the pit viper (only tested, never used) and the adaptor plate - one crease in it from trying to install, hardly noticeable and again, like new condition. MSRP is about 70.00 plus taxes and shipping, I'll ship them to you for 40.00.

I’m interested if you still have it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky