Pit Master Journal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremyd

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Wisconsin
Im new to this and making all my own venison products including whatever else. Im building a Google sheet to keep track of the different rubs marinades and seasonings I use and how I cooked the project. Im sure some of you already something of the sorts. Anyone have any suggestions what should be on it.

If you do a search you'll find quite a bit of info on Journals and Notes. Some of the things I would include would be
What smoker if you have multiple smokers
What you are smoking like 2- butts 1 brisket etc
Smoker Temp
Final internal temp of product
Overall smoke time
Wood used
Weather conditions (maybe not exact but things like cold, hot, windy so when you compare smokes you can get an idea what different conditions do to smoke times etc
What rub and if made exact measurements so you can tweak recipes and or repeat them when you get it just right
Anything you might have done different
How it came out what your thoughts were and what you might want to change the next time.
I know it seems like a lot to keep track of but it will help figure out just how you like things the best and this way you can repeat your smokes exactly when you get it just the way you want it. Also even tho we cook to temp it will give you an idea of about how long it's going to take for figuring out meal times etc

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky