Pit Boss Typical Cook Setting Run-Down

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hophead99

Original poster
May 18, 2020
Just got my Pit Boss Austin XL and looking to get a typical rundown of the P settings used for a smoke for say a pork shoulder or brisket. Also trying to figure out if you do the first few hours on the smoke setting with what P setting and then switch over to a temp setting or what works best. Thanks

I leave mine on smoke setting which is the lowest temp, i have ran at p6 but you chance a flameout the higher the P number, run for 2-4 hours then kick it up to 225-250 and let it cruse til done, i also add a smoke tube on large cuts of meat

Thanks mike243. I have a smoke tube im also planning on using. Hopefully this weekend allows time to get something on the grill.

Don't forget, they host pictures here so its so easy even I can do it lol

Run it on smoke mode with a low P setting. Should stay under 200F. The lower P setting will get your cooker billowing out smoke more frequently with the trade off being that it will run hotter. P-0 can overload the firepot and cause temp spikes. P-1 can sometimes do this, but P-2 has given me no problems.

P4 is the default on mine and the higher the number the lower the temp will run , the higher the number will bring the temp up and keep a more consistent temp, the higher number will have a wider swing in order to make more smoke

P4 is the default on mine and the higher the number the lower the temp will run , the LOWER the number will bring the temp up and keep a more consistent temp, the higher number will have a wider swing

Fixed that for you.

Low P setting = pellets added more frequently, which will raise temp a bit, can reduce swings (as long as you don't outpace the burn rate of the pellets) and produce more smoke

High P setting = pellets added less frequently, lower temp, larger swing and less smoke, runs the risk of a flameout if the temp drops too low

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky