Pit Boss PB440D

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
My brother has been talking about getting a smoker lately, and his birthday just happens to be coming up. He's not the kind of guy that would be interested in the kind of work that goes into tending to charcoal or wood, so I think a pellet smoker would be a good fit.

I had to run into Target to grab something and I stumbled on a Pit Boss PB440D on 50% clearance.

So at $175, I'm sure the general consensus is that it's an absolute steal. But I also don't want to buy him junk. Are these good quality? How well will it cook and will it last? They seem to have good reviews online, but you I trust the voices on here more than different store websites.

I have had my PB for over 3 years and it has done a lot of cooking, good food and easy to use. I would buy another if this 1 quit, not sure a lot more $ would make a lot more difference in the food.

So I'm probably going to end up getting him one of these for his birthday. But at this price, I'm thinking about grabbing one for myself, too. I don't need it.

But I'm gonna need someone to talk me into it. I run a homemade charcoal smoker. The art of maintaining the temp and smoke appeals to me. But you can't really argue with the convenience of a pellet smoker on those busy days.

So here's my biggest question. How long should I be able to make it without having to refill the hopper? I know there are a lot of variables, but for hypothetical sake, let's just say the outside temperature is 60 degrees and dry. And I want to run at 250.

My hopper is a 32lb and have ran it 22 hrs without a refill, depending on the temp you will run 1-2 lbs per hour,real cold temps without a blanket will use more, I use a moving blanket during cold weather on long cooks to help usage, still cheaper than charcoal imo

Thanks for those numbers. With the savings from the clearance sale, I won't even blink at the cost of the hopper extension.

This would give me the option to finally get some longer cooks under my belt. With a 60hr per week job and three kids ages four and under, I'm just not getting up every couple hours to tend to a brisket.

Reactions: bauchjw
Welp. I have to pay my dues for deer camp next weekend, so I guess this thing is going on the credit card and getting hidden in the garage until some time next month.

Thanks for those numbers. With the savings from the clearance sale, I won't even blink at the cost of the hopper extension.

This would give me the option to finally get some longer cooks under my belt. With a 60hr per week job and three kids ages four and under, I'm just not getting up every couple hours to tend to a brisket.
I started going down the pellet smoker path with each new kid. I don’t think they are a lot of fun to use, but I guess that’s the point. My three kids are in the same age range and it’s the only way I’ll get to a brisket or any long smoke.

I owned a 440 unit with the older controller. Works as well as any pellet burner, just don't expect temps to be rock solid, especially if you you run it down around 200F or lower. Once you hit 300F it's much more stable. Great for cooking chicken.

You'll want to pick up a smoke tube because pellet smoke gets thin and mild the hotter you run it, very little smoke above 250F.

Stick with oak, hickory or pecan pellets if you find the smoke flavor to be too light.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky