Pit Boss 1100

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I want a combo gas pellet looking at the Memphis ultimate . I don't want to smoke everything I cook. I have a 30 and a 40 MES which like for long smokes. The Austin is it a combo gas/pellet ?
No. I'd never buy a combo personally. You can grill or smoke on the Austin xl. Temps range from 180-600

I use my smoker as a grill also, I have a gass grill but never use it anymore, just crank the smoker to max temp.

I initially had problems with the right side being much hotter than the left. Pit Boss customer service told me to remove what they call a diffuser (the thin piece of metal with the hole). That worked. I also get a hot spot over the fire box when cooking at higher temps. If I am cooking anywhere from the smoke setting through 225 the hot spot in the middle is barely noticeable. At 250 it starts becoming a problem and gets much worse as you I increase the temp. For ribs or anything else that cooks at lower temps I can load the whole chamber and everything cooks evenly. For things like chicken parts or anything that I need to cook at 300 or above, I cannot use the middle of the grill at all. I may try getting the searing grate cover fro the Austin XL.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I've had my 1100 for a month now and use it at least 5 times a week. What I have found best is 1. Pull that thin aluminum "diffuser" plate out and throw it as far as you can, preferably into the scrap pile. 2nd. Pick up the insulated blanket for it. These two steps keep the whole grate within 10 degrees of each other and never more than 15 degrees from set temp up to around 300-350. Then there is definitely a hotspot over the fire pot. But if I'm cooking that high it's usually searing something or doing pizza, in which case I just use the temp zones to my advantage.

I don't want everything I grill to have a smoke taste is that possible with a pellet grill?
Yes when cooking low pellets burn slower allowing more smoke. When cooking high pellets burn fast which creates less smoke.

Just a fyi though......charcoal also creates smoke and so does propane when your food drippings hit the fire. If you dont like smoke a grill may not be for you anyways

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky