Pit Boss 1100

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Albert77

Original poster
Feb 19, 2020
I bought a Pit Boss 1100 to replace my Traeger Tailgater, the 1100 is sturdy and well built but im concerned about the searing grate. The middle searing plate get to hot to put anything on for any period of time due to the fire pot being directly below it, I have read threads regarding adding a heat defuser to remedy the issue. Has any one had similar issues and if so what was the solution. I've read that adding a heat defuser throws off the temp gauge as well. Im on the fence about returning the grill because of this. Any members have the 1100 and if so what is your satisfaction with it.

Firstly, thanks for joining, this is a great place to get information and questions answered. Now about your question:
The middle searing plate get to hot to put anything on for any period of time
The searing area/plate/whatever you want to call it is for just that: searing the meat. This requires a high temperature as you want to impart a sear or char without further cooking the meat. They are not designed to be used " for any length of time." I would say your searing grate is working just the way it was designed.

As far as your second concern ; "...
I've read that adding a heat defuser throws off the temp gauge
I don't personally see how that could be the case. A temp gauge (thermometer) merely measures the temperature where the probe is. Most folks use additional temperature probes at multiple places in their cooker to get a better idea of the cooker temp. In addition, it is common knowledge that OEM thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Based on that, I wouldn't worry about the temp gauge being off.

The PB1100 is a fine grill for the money. It just takes some practice and patience to learn how to use it to it's maximum effectiveness, just like every other cooker out there.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I hear what your saying, just seems like some wasted space I could use on a large cook.

Yes, on the older versions they had a solid plate to cover the searing grate now they have a slotted slide plate that when you slide over it meshes with the slotted drip pan to make its seal, the main issue is its directly under the smoke box. This model doesn't have a traditional heat deflector like other pellet grills it uses the drip pan as the smoke deflector. Hope this makes sense. I bought this to do large cooks but the middle is 70 degrees hotter than the left and right.

Yes, on the older versions they had a solid plate to cover the searing grate now they have a slotted slide plate that when you slide over it meshes with the slotted drip pan to make its seal, the main issue is its directly under the smoke box. This model doesn't have a traditional heat deflector like other pellet grills it uses the drip pan as the smoke deflector. Hope this makes sense. I bought this to do large cooks but the middle is 70 degrees hotter than the left and right.
I have the Austin xl. Mine has a solid plate that slides over the sear grates. I have pretty even temps across the cooking surface. Maybe call pitboss and purchase a diffuser for Austin xl. Its basically the same smoker as yours. Just an idea

I have a defuser but it its large and sits around the fire box not over it,does yours have one that sits over it,I wish mine had the solid plate that runs over the grate, I may have to fab something, Just a pain in the --- for a new grill. Other than that how do you like it does it handle business?

I have a defuser but it its large and sits around the fire box not over it,does yours have one that sits over it,I wish mine had the solid plate that runs over the grate, I may have to fab something, Just a pain in the --- for a new grill. Other than that how do you like it does it handle business?
That thin piece of aluminum that sits around the pot isnt a diffuser. You should have a thick piece of steel that sits over that.

1582142958658.png
This is what i have the fire box sits in the middle, this is what they call the defuser

Nothing covers the fire box
20200219_142458.jpg
20200219_142538.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. The first pic is with diffuser removed. Second is with it on. Its covered in foil but this is what it looks like without foil
Pit-Boss-Shield.jpg

If you dont have that then you are missing a piece. I know because I looked at an 1100 today at lowes. The only difference in mine and yours is I have to manually slide that plate left or right to expose the flame. Yours has a lever. You shouldn't be able to see your flame when using the smoker unless you are searing

I spoke to pit boss right now and they said the only difference between Austin and the 1100 is the slide plate my defuser and slide plate both have slits, when you slide it over it shuts but it dont do a great job at it lets to much heat threw, im going to buy the solid plate from the Austin this should fix the problem. She says that she has dealt with this issue before with the 1100,she said lowes did this to be different from the Walmart Austin but it is a poor design.

Reactions: TNJAKE
The guy in this video is a big ol tool bag but watch it. This is how the inside of your smoker is supposed to look

When your sear plate is closed, is your temp on the middle grate higher than the left and right? If so I will make a secondary heat shield instead of buying the Austin slide plate,and yes mine is like in the video, when its shut you can still slightly see the flame.Its not a tight fit.

Mine is pretty even across. Slight increase toward the chimney. But definitely not 70°. Maybe 10°. I'd call pitboss and tell them your flame slide isnt sealing and ask them to send you the plate like mine. Its thick. Then just sit it on top like my smoker. They have great customer service and they might send it free onwarranty since your sear grates dont close fully. I have over 400 cooks on mine and love it

Mine is pretty even across. Slight increase toward the chimney. But definitely not 70°. Maybe 10°. I'd call pitboss and tell them your flame slide isnt sealing and ask them to send you the plate like mine. Its thick. Then just sit it on top like my smoker. They have great customer service and they might send it free onwarranty since your sear grates dont close fully. I have over 400 cooks on mine and love it
10-4. That's what I'll do, they wont do it under warranty I already asked since it's a Austin part but they are gonna hook me up with some free rubs. Thanks for the tips

10-4. That's what I'll do, they wont do it under warranty I already asked since it's a Austin part but they are gonna hook me up with some free rubs. Thanks for the tips
Np bud. Let me know how it works. Personally I think it will be a gamechanger

I want a combo gas pellet looking at the Memphis ultimate . I don't want to smoke everything I cook. I have a 30 and a 40 MES which like for long smokes. The Austin is it a combo gas/pellet ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky