PID Tuning fun MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is my MES30 analog...I added the stack on top, cut a 3" hole in the bottom for the future mailbox mod, in the meantime, I put a piece of sheet metal on the bottom so I can adjust the air intake. I cut the original rack holders removing 1.5" from each section, re-welded them and added 3 more angle aluminum rack holders above those, total now 6 shelves all the same spacing. I smoke dry a lot of hot peppers in the fall and needed more shelves and a smoker that has a wide range of temps and this fit the bill perfectly.

Cheers

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5031.jpeg

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

Last edited:
Exactly. We had our time wasted with out of the box parameters and autotune so you should to, to be part of our autotune fail club. hahaha
I think I became a lifetime member this weekend ha ha. Decided to do the D parameter tuning another time, had too many things on the go today buns are rising potato salad is made pork shoulder is at 201° several beers I’ve been consumed the sun is down just need to make the finishing sauce for the pulled pork.

Cheers

PS today wasn’t my first rodeo with PID, I’ve tried it a number of times, both with the pelletssmoker and the fan on the Kamado grill, both were very difficult to implement, which is why I decided Electric would be the easiest. :emoji_laughing:

PPS damn, that finishing sauce Finishing Sauce for pulled pork is good, instead of pepper flakes, which take a while to impart their flavour I used Tabasco and Frank’s red hot sauce. Yum Yum Yum.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm and dr k
We had our time wasted with out of the box parameters and autotune so you should to, to be part of our autotune fail club. hahaha
Exactly . It does give you some insight though .
I look at the stock settings for the 1510 and wonder what the heck that works on .
today wasn’t my first rodeo with PID, I’ve tried it a number of times, both with the pelletssmoker and the fan on the Kamado grill,
I recently added the 1500 watt analog element to an old 22" kettle . Trying to get time to hang the Auber on it and see what it wants to do .

Reactions: kilohertz
Hi all,

I finished building my REX C100 PID yesterday, played with it last night with a light bulb, watching the PID function do its thing, pretty neat seeing it learn after an hour it was able to keep the same SV value, cool.

Today I am finishing the MES mods, just need to add the smoke stack and larger air intake then I want to start the PID tuning. I am wondering what the best way is to tune the smoker? I don't want to experiment with meat, I was thinking a large bowl of water might simulate a normal load...

Looking for recommendations from those of you who have tuned your electric smokers.

Thanks!

View attachment 669207

View attachment 669208

View attachment 669213

View attachment 669210

You have a Metcal. You are serious. :emoji_sunglasses:

Nice work on the controller.

I use a k-type thermocouple and have had no issues with temperature control. The auto-tune also worked very well for my charcoal smoker. My charcoal smoker has a much larger thermal mass than an electric though so I would guess that makes a difference.

The K-type thermocouple is pretty fast in reacting to temperature changes.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: chopsaw
You have a Metcal. You are serious. :emoji_sunglasses:

Nice work on the controller.

Thanks! Takes another tech to spot the Metcal. :emoji_sunglasses:

I have been into electronics my whole life, we used those at the mfrg place I worked at 20 years ago, it's been flawless since I got it.

I haven't figured out the best way to implement the thermocouple yet, I have tried holding it in a clothes pin, wrapping the tip in tinfoil, leaving it naked, all get different readings and I don't know which one to use. I'm not what sure to use for a reference, the built in dial maybe?? This is what I have.

Cheers

1688394306113.png

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks! Takes another tech to spot the Metcal. :emoji_sunglasses:

I have been into electronics my whole life, we used those at the mfrg place I worked at 20 years ago, it's been flawless since I got it.

I haven't figured out the best way to implement the thermocouple yet, I have tried holding it in a clothes pin, wrapping the tip in tinfoil, leaving it naked, all get different readings and I don't know which one to use. I'm not what sure to use for a reference, the built in dial maybe?? This is what I have.

Cheers

View attachment 669405

I use a rare earth magnet to hold the probe in place.

Haven't had any issues.

I have been into electronics since my cousin and I made a makeshift electromagnet to drop onions on people when they walked through the door.

Good times.... Good times...... :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: kilohertz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky