Pictures Of Your UDS Heat Diffusers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Suffolk, VA
Hello All,

I'm starting a new UDS build and I'm wanting to install a heat diffuser as part of it. I've been reading that folks have been using 16" pizza pans for this, do any of you have pictures available of the hole pattern that you drilled on your pizza pans? I was looking at the fancy ones on udsparts.com, it's tempting, but the shipping makes it a bit $pendy for an ugly drum smoker. I'm just looking to see what others have done for a heat diffuser in their drums. Thank you in advance for any guidance that you can provide.

Best,

Adam.

So I was at Ace hardware the other day looking in the grill section and seen the charcoal grate for a BGE... Immediately thought heat deflector for a UDS... I wanted to measure the diameter JIC (just in case)... but never did... Ace's website doesn't give diameter...

For my Mini WSM (same theory as UDS but downsized)... I just used a piece of 1/4" plate and cut a round about an inch smaller than the inside diameter of the drum... So this gap would have to be bigger on a UDS... say a two inch gap... maybe three ... so for a 2" gap you would make the round 4" smaller than the inside diameter of the drum... No holes drilled in the round... But I also have a 12" cast iron skillet (handle cut off) sitting on top of 1/4" round plate ... All this steel when heated acts as a great heat sync as well as difusing ... The skillet also does the job of catching drippings (when not saved)... so it's wrapped in foil for easy clean up ..

For the BGE grate .. If that's to many holes in it... the ones towards center can be covered up... Also there were three different sizes... the biggest one being close for a UDS pending diameters

Last edited:
Reactions: apn73
Hello All,

I'm starting a new UDS build and I'm wanting to install a heat diffuser as part of it. I've been reading that folks have been using 16" pizza pans for this, do any of you have pictures available of the hole pattern that you drilled on your pizza pans? I was looking at the fancy ones on udsparts.com, it's tempting, but the shipping makes it a bit $pendy for an ugly drum smoker. I'm just looking to see what others have done for a heat diffuser in their drums. Thank you in advance for any guidance that you can provide.

Best,

Adam.
I just use a higher charcoal basket and drop a waiter tray on top of it.

Since it´s expanded metal, the heat can go out by the basket sides.

No holes, just wrapped in foil to easy cleaning.

My charcoal basket is:

40cm high x 30cm diameter.
The coal grate is placed 5 cm from bottom so I have 35 cm high for charcoal bed and I can lay a tray on top without using any holder. If I need water pan, I just put it on top.

Is this without the basket feet.

Attachments

• esquema.jpg
    esquema.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 101
I use a n 18” square concrete patio block. (Had to cut the corners off so it would fit.). Adds thermal mass to even out temp swings if I have them. I just put foil on top so it doesn’t get funky with fat and drippings.

Jbo

Reactions: jimmyinsd
I went to walmart and bought the largest clay flower pot base that I could find, seems that its about 15" in diameter, wrapped it in foil, and it sits on a rack that is perched about half way between the cooking grate level and the top of the coal basket. no drilling required and cost about $6 or so IIRC.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky