Picture Quality on YoutubeTV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
Does anyone else use YoutubeTV with a large high def flat screen? I just bought an 85" Samsung QLED with 4K upscaling (I don't pretend to know all of what that means, but have some idea). YoutubeTV looks horrible on it, however all of the other apps look perfect (Disney+, Hulu, Netfilx, Prime). We use YoutubeTV for all the local and "cable" channels, so I don't want to drop it, but it's really bad. Never noticed it with my 65". Curious if anyone else has/had this issue and any known fixes? THX!

I have a Sony 77 inch tv that has all the bells and whistles on it and my picture is very good! If I watch a video in 4g resolution I can’t believe the clarity of the picture.
I did have to get a WiFi booster for the TV cause when we put on a sunroof the TV was to far from the router that was in the basement.
The Techs in stalled a eero system.
Might check into a booster?

Reactions: JLeonard
4K is $10 per month extra on YouTube TV, so you won't get a 4K signal unless you ante up. Maybe your TV is trying to display a "standard" definition signal in 4K? I don't know. Just guessing. Standard definition looks great on my 55 inch TCL TV.

Reactions: pi guy and JLeonard
Does anyone else use YoutubeTV with a large high def flat screen? I just bought an 85" Samsung QLED with 4K upscaling (I don't pretend to know all of what that means, but have some idea). YoutubeTV looks horrible on it, however all of the other apps look perfect (Disney+, Hulu, Netfilx, Prime). We use YoutubeTV for all the local and "cable" channels, so I don't want to drop it, but it's really bad. Never noticed it with my 65". Curious if anyone else has/had this issue and any known fixes? THX!
Ok...this is my business per se', but I don't typically get involved due to my typing ability (stroke) but here goes: I work for a company as a broadcast engineer that sells 4K cameras and monitors. (we make the pylon cam)
Please don't take my rantings as a personal slight. 4K is bullshit. No one on this forum has a real 4K TV. I've had this discussion with people bigger, meaner and drunker than me at the local watering hole. I'll get to your question in a second. Television technology has grown leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. They look marvelous. If your eyes haven't already rolled back and said "this guy's an idiot:"
If you are watching cable, satellite or OTA (antenna) you are watching either 1080 or 720P.
Your TV or cable box or computer does the upscaling.(most do it well)
Regarding Pi's question. You should be able to stream and view "4K" (UHD) with 15Mbps download speed. ( do an internet speed test check with ookla or similar. Your results with You tube 4K will probably look better with the the charge for the "4K package, if you have the internet download speed.. I don't mean to be disparaging but I spend a lot of time in TV stations, sports arenas, high end churches and places like that. I still have to sort this out with some broadcast engineers. Without knowing your video stream workflow I Can't be sure of this. I have direct TV and AT&T internet. today I am running 650 Mbps download speed. I have Direct TV and am soon switching to Dish. When we watch Prime I cast it from my ipad with virtually the same quality. Sorry for all the jibberish.
pic for attention....John

IMG-6737 (1).JPG

LG makes the 4k processors. Thats the reason why i bought my thinIQ LG set. And I guarantee you, mine is a legit 4ktv. I'm an audiophile, and don't skimp on my home theater conponents. I can visually see the difference in picture quality from a normal DVD, blu-ray, 4k movie disc, tv outputs.

I used to do paint inspections on show cats. I had to have an eye for things.

Reactions: pi guy
Ok...this is my business per se', but I don't typically get involved due to my typing ability (stroke) but here goes: I work for a company as a broadcast engineer that sells 4K cameras and monitors. (we make the pylon cam)
Please don't take my rantings as a personal slight. 4K is bullshit. No one on this forum has a real 4K TV. I've had this discussion with people bigger, meaner and drunker than me at the local watering hole. I'll get to your question in a second. Television technology has grown leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. They look marvelous. If your eyes haven't already rolled back and said "this guy's an idiot:"
If you are watching cable, satellite or OTA (antenna) you are watching either 1080 or 720P.
Regarding Pi's question. You should be able to stream and view "4K" (UHD) with 15Mbps download speed. ( do an internet speed test check with ookla or similar. Your results with You tube 4K will probably look better with the the charge for the "4K package, if you have the internet download speed.. I don't mean to be disparaging but I spend a lot of time in TV stations, sports arenas, high end churches and places like that. I still have to sort this out with some broadcast engineers. Without knowing your video stream workflow I Can't be sure of this. I have direct TV and AT&T internet. today I am running 650 Mbps download speed. I have Direct TV and am soon switching to Dish. When we watch Prime I cast it from my ipad with virtually the same quality. Sorry for all the jibberish.

View attachment 677313
Kinda following you logic....Im a nurse not a tech guy....Basically what your saying is like with the early computer programing stuff...."garbage in, garbage out". I mean you can have a super computer but its only gonna do so much hooked up to a dial up modem. Same with the TV's? They are only as good as the signal coming in....Right?

Jim

I can't past their price. I have a 60"Oled set. And use prime, paramount, and other streaming services for far less $$. And am totally satisfied with the resolution. I'm already paying. 105.00 for internet from rectum. As long as the picture looks good. I'm happy regardless of what it's being advertised as. I do think 4K looks better on my TV.

LG makes the 4k processors. Thats the reason why i bought my thinIQ LG set. And I guarantee you, mine is a legit 4ktv. I'm an audiophile, and don't skimp on my home theater conponents. I can visually see the difference in picture quality from a normal DVD, blu-ray, 4k movie disc, tv outputs.

I used to do paint inspections on show cats. I had to have an eye for things.
and this is why I don't usually get involved in these conversations:
Copied:
True 4K refers to a resolution of 4096 x 2160, which is used by digital cinema projectors. UHD in the consumer world refers to a resolution of 3840 x 2160, which is the resolution you get on TVs. So technically, 4K is the wrong term, but the two are pretty much interchangeable.

There are only a couple of screen manufacturers tat make true 4096x2160 screens. We just discontinued our TRUE 4K 24" monitor because even cinematographers wouldn't pay $7K for a TRUE 4K monitor 24" (no tuner 12G SI input). Again not to be disparaging.
PS: I despise wifi, as well as bluetooth.
john

Last edited:
Kinda following you logic....Im a nurse not a tech guy....Basically what your saying is like with the early computer programing stuff...."garbage in, garbage out". I mean you can have a super computer but its only gonna do so much hooked up to a dial up modem. Same with the TV's? They are only as good as the signal coming in....Right?

Jim
kinda sorta, without going full throttle geek. Your TV is just fine. Most all "TV sources" start out as 1080i or 720P (what your local stations air). your doo doo picture is most likely because the streaming protocal by u-tube is sending the native picture and your TV is doing it's best to stretch that to 3840x2160. The $10 a month is for the upconverted stream. Here's an a example: I am currently watching our local channel 7 WSVN. on dish. if I hit my switch and change to antenna ( yes I still have one). The picture looks the same but is being broadcast at 1280x720P which a few local TV stations use. Let me ask you something. Are you out in the boonies? An antenna might solve your local TV issues. (depending how far out you are) . This website will allow you to put your address in and tell you if an antenna will work for you. https://www.antennaweb.org/

FWIW if I am watching Dolphins or Notre Dame football I will switch to antenna because I can see the difference between over the air and satellite .I''d try the $10upgrade and see if you like it and how much you use it. as i mentioned earlier I despise WIFI and bluetooth.

View attachment 677313
Great info, thanks. That's pretty much what I was told by my IT Guy (my 19 year old son). But he knows everything all the time (and nothing most of the time LOL) so I thought I'd check with y'all.
I actually sell electronic components to companies that do AV (in addition to many other industries) and work with Engineers that are borderline genius when it comes to this tech. I was going to ask some of them their opinion too, but yours' is good and comes from a place of experience. Wish your company was in Michigan, would love to work with your engineers on electronics tech!

I have a Sony 77 inch tv that has all the bells and whistles on it and my picture is very good! If I watch a video in 4g resolution I can’t believe the clarity of the picture.
I did have to get a WiFi booster for the TV cause when we put on a sunroof the TV was to far from the router that was in the basement.
The Techs in stalled a eero system.
Might check into a booster?
I have an Eero system too. It's not a bandwidth issues because the other streaming services are beautiful. Just Youtube TV sucks on this new TV.

Reactions: Ishi

Jim
That was my take on his reply as well.

Reactions: JLeonard
. It's not a bandwidth issues because the other streaming services are beautiful. Just Youtube TV sucks on this new TV.
I think the base Youtube streams at 720p . Most of my TV's are on firesticks , and never noticed a problem .
Just bought a 65" Sony Bravia X90L . Still getting everything dialed in . The youtube picture is " normal " . Never really noticed a difference until this thread . Lol . Watching Netflix last night there's a huge difference in picture quality . Awesome picture . Some channels on the Youtube stream are really nice as well .
I did go into the TV settings and turn off the power saving mode , and anything along those lines . So the TV spends the power being a TV . I think that helped .

Just Youtube TV sucks on this new TV.
OK . I've been clicking around within Youtube TV since you brought this up . I've only had the Sony for a couple weeks . Sometimes a great picture , other times not as good .
Maybe you know this , but I just figured it out .
This is a Youtube adjustment , not the TV .

While you're watching Youtube TV , using the Samsung remote , hit the down arrow .
You should see the " tool bar " where it says , networks , or a plus sign to record a show .
If you scroll to the left ( on that bar ) you should have an HD button .
Choose that and see what the options are and what you're set to .
Mine starts at 240p and goes up from there . I had mine set to auto . I changed it to 1080p , and it seemed to make a difference . So I don't know if that's upscaling or if the program was broadcast in 1080p .
I also found a 4K tab under another section . Again , this is all within Youtube TV , not the TV settings .
Clicked on the 4K section , and it has videos of shows you can watch in 4K without the upgrade .
I fired one up and the picture was incredible . Did the down arrow thing to check and it showed 2160p .
So maybe something there you can look at if you haven't already .

Reactions: zwiller
OK . I've been clicking around within Youtube TV since you brought this up . I've only had the Sony for a couple weeks . Sometimes a great picture , other times not as good .
Maybe you know this , but I just figured it out .
This is a Youtube adjustment , not the TV .

While you're watching Youtube TV , using the Samsung remote , hit the down arrow .
You should see the " tool bar " where it says , networks , or a plus sign to record a show .
If you scroll to the left ( on that bar ) you should have an HD button .
Choose that and see what the options are and what you're set to .
Mine starts at 240p and goes up from there . I had mine set to auto . I changed it to 1080p , and it seemed to make a difference . So I don't know if that's upscaling or if the program was broadcast in 1080p .
I also found a 4K tab under another section . Again , this is all within Youtube TV , not the TV settings .
Clicked on the 4K section , and it has videos of shows you can watch in 4K without the upgrade .
I fired one up and the picture was incredible . Did the down arrow thing to check and it showed 2160p .
So maybe something there you can look at if you haven't already .
Really?? Ok, this is great to know. I'm going to check it out to see if helps; sounds like it will.

Thanks for sharing, this will be great if it works.

Reactions: chopsaw
I hope it does . Let me know if it does , or if you can't find it .
Found it. It does seem to make a different for a couple of channels, but not on others, as it's set to different settings for each one. I found one where it was not at 1080p so I changed it to it, and I *think* it made a difference?
I'll continue to play around with it and let you know if I find any other tweaks that can be made. Thanks.

Reactions: chopsaw
You would think automatic would be the one you want , unless the dedicated choice upscales a lesser quality .
Good luck .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky