Pics of a Prime Rib Smoke MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inno

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
NW Ontario, Canada
First of all, a big thanks to Bearcarver for sharing with us his method. I have tried it twice before and I'm now smoking my third prime rib. I just got a new to me digital camera (last one ended up in the dogs water dish thanks to my little girl) so I figured I'd share some pics and let everyone know that even an amateur can have excellent results by following Bearcarver's method. I unfortunately didn't have it thawed in time for the spices to sit on it overnight but it did have about 4 hours wrapped.

Got the smoker out at around 11:30 and started heating it up. It's around 20°F here with a sharp little breeze so not exactly balmy.  Set the MES30 for 260°F for the warmup and filled the foil lined drip pan with water.

Got it unwrapped and ready.

Aaaaand in the smoker.

In the A-Maze-N I have maple dust, in the MES smoke box I have some apple.......would probably have used hickory for this but I'm all out. Placed an order last night when I realized I was out.

And now we wait. I really wish there was a way to share the smell with you all......

Looks great so far! Bear definitely knows his stuff. I've copied many of his recipes and am always amazed at how tasty they are. I've never been disappointed by anything of his I have tried.

Well it didn't take nearly as long as I thought. By about 3:00 when I put my thermometer in it was up to 121°F. I started watching it a bit closer and by 3:30 it was up to 133° and I pulled it and wrapped in foil.

We had to go out for an hour and a half so I'm not too sure how far it soared to but when we came back it was showing 133 just like when we left. The suspense (and the smell) was killing me so I cut in.

My brother in law also brought some lobster tails so I predict I will be too full to move later. I'll try to get some pics when we slice it but so far it's looking, and tasting, amazing!

And the finished product. Kinda forgot about pictures until I'd tried a few bites........forgive me
drool.gif

And I'm spent!!

Looks really nice. Prim Rib is my favorite cut of meat. Until this forum I would of never thought of smoking prime rib. I can not wait to try.Thanks for the pics.

Mighty fine looking prime rib there. Am going to do one for x-mas. What kind of rub did you use. I will use you're pics to compare it to mine.

thanks

I did the same as Bearcarver did in his "best prime rib" post. I believe he says "small amounts" of all the ingredients but what I did was put one teaspoon of each in a bowl and mixed it up. It is simply salt, pepper (coarse is what Bear uses, I used regular table grind), onion powder and garlic powder. Coat the roast with worcestershire to help the spices stick and sprinkle them on, then wrap up tightly with saran and put in the fridge overnight.

I did the same as Bearcarver did in his "best prime rib" post. I believe he says "small amounts" of all the ingredients but what I did was put one teaspoon of each in a bowl and mixed it up. It is simply salt, pepper (coarse is what Bear uses, I used regular table grind), onion powder and garlic powder. Coat the roast with worcestershire to help the spices stick and sprinkle them on, then wrap up tightly with saran and put in the fridge overnight.
Looks Great, Inno!!!

I'm real glad you liked it, and thanks for the compliments!!

Yours actually looks better than mine, but you cheated---No Lobster tail with mine!!!
drool.gif

BTW: I don't use coarse pepper---I use regular table grind like you did.

Bear

Last edited:
Now you're asking all the tough questions...........I honestly didn't look at the package before I spiced and wrapped it. It had 3 ribs and I cut somewhere around 5-7 1" slices........all very approximate. I would guess 4-5 lbs. I don't think it really matters what the weight is, as long as you use a good thermometer to get the final temp. just where you want it. That is paramount! There really is no other way to do it by time/weight etc.

Now you're asking all the tough questions...........I honestly didn't look at the package before I spiced and wrapped it. It had 3 ribs and I cut somewhere around 5-7 1" slices........all very approximate. I would guess 4-5 lbs. I don't think it really matters what the weight is, as long as you use a good thermometer to get the final temp. just where you want it. That is paramount! There really is no other way to do it by time/weight etc.
Yup---That looks about the same size as the ones I make, and they're usually about 5 to 6 lbs.

Bear

Thanks. I was just asking the weight because it looks like a good size to feed my gang....I would defenitely cook it to an IT .again , great looking roast.

Thanks. I was just asking the weight because it looks like a good size to feed my gang....I would defenitely cook it to an IT .again , great looking roast.
I don't know how you guys do it, but it's only me & Mrs Bear, and she doesn't like reheated steak.

So I take a big slice for each of us out of the middle. Then I slice the rest into 1/4" to 3/8" thickness.

Then I can heat it up fast in the frying pan, toaster oven, or gas grill (my favorite way), without making it well done.

I also end up freezing a few slices. So if it's less than 4 LBS, there isn't enough left over, and if it's more than 6 LBS, there's too much left over.

Bear

I don't know how you guys do it, but it's only me & Mrs Bear, and she doesn't like reheated steak.
So I take a big slice for each of us out of the middle. Then I slice the rest into 1/4" to 3/8" thickness.
Then I can heat it up fast in the frying pan, toaster oven, or gas grill (my favorite way), without making it well done.
I also end up freezing a few slices. So if it's less than 4 LBS, there isn't enough left over, and if it's more than 6 LBS, there's too much left over.
Bear

Yeah , most nights it's just me n sweetie , but if my boys get wind that there's good beef on the grill we're likely to have company! I just have to do one of those on the WSM ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky