Philly cheese steak brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did you ship mine out yet?
Its all gone, thats why I am making more this weekend.    
icon14.gif

I will ship some out.

When I get my SS check next month planning on getting a stuffer, I no doubt will have a boat load of questions. Kielbasa is high on the list. Looked thru Owens BBQ site, they have a lot of interesting sounding spice packages available. Your Philly Cheese brats may be the first ones I try.

I bough a boat load of seasoning for them.

I am doing the Wisconsin brats to tomorrow.

Check out northern tools for a stuffer.  I love mine.

Ink... morning....  the 5# stuffer is very versatile....  Greasing the o-ring and stuffing tub is important for ease in stuffing and adding a small amount of liquid to the meat also...    the thermo-plastic gears won't be a problem....   

Ink... morning....  the 5# stuffer is very versatile....  Greasing the o-ring and stuffing tub is important for ease in stuffing and adding a small amount of liquid to the meat also...    the thermo-plastic gears won't be a problem....   
Morning Sir...what type of grease? Got some synthetic chassis stuff in the garage. ..have some white lithium as well...

Just kidding. Crisco suffice? How did you know I was concerned about the plastic gears? With that particular stuffer being on sale I will not be waiting til next month....

Last edited:
I made Philly Cheesesteak and Bacon cheeseburger brats as well as 2 other brats of my own recipe . I just cooked up a sample of each ........... OMG ! 
sausage.gif

drool.gif

They are Great !!!!! 

Cfarmer, nice job and they look great!

Do you think I might be able to use this option for a stuffer:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/KitchenAid-Sausage-Stuffer-Kit/8065414

I have the kitchen aid so it seems like an inexpensive way to give this a try
I started stuffing using one of those...  they don't work that well and are a PITA to use....   Put your money toward a dedicated vertical stuffer...   Northern tool or grizzly have them at a decent price....   The grinder part on those stuffers are built with lots of slop in the auger and they grind chunks well but if you want to grind a second pass, you are out of luck...  the meat squeezes out around the auger.....   

Dave

I made Philly Cheesesteak and Bacon cheeseburger brats as well as 2 other brats of my own recipe . I just cooked up a sample of each ........... OMG ! :sausage:

:drool:

They are Great !!!!! 

I have the bacon cbeeseburger one too. I have alot of them to try.

Cfarmer, nice job and they look great!

Do you think I might be able to use this option for a stuffer:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/KitchenAid-Sausage-Stuffer-Kit/8065414

I have the kitchen aid so it seems like an inexpensive way to give this a try

Thanks.

And as Dave said. Get a dedicated stuffer. Mine was 79 bucks.

I'll have to go the dedicated stuffer once I am hooked but for now, I have the kitchen aid attachment(s) and I have watched a few videos on youtube using these specific attachments.  They sure make it look easy 

I plan to do these on Friday so I will have pics then.  I bought casings yesterday although my butcher steered me towards the synthetics that he had but I think that was because he only sold the real casings in batches that do 70+ pounds.  

I am going to do a knock-off of the philly cheesesteak using fresh vegetables (peppers, onions), spices, and cheese.  I hope to grill these for the superbowl

Thanks for the help and links.  I will order some of ths spices so they are here for my next batches.

I used to stuff with my KA food grinder attachment and a if you can believe it did hundreds of pounds of venison ss. Never again. Save your pennies and get a stuffer as soon as you can. I didn't make sausage for a year after that debacle. Just make sure your meat is nearly frozen for the first and second grind. You can get aftermarket knives and plates that help a lot too.

Just had to throw that in there. GO HAWKS!

I'll have to get a dedicated stuffer if I plan to do this regularly but for my occasional stuffing, this worked out well.  It definitely helped to have 2 people and I would say that this was a lot of work.  I grinded my own meat (beef/pork), doing 2 passes through the grinder (1st coarse, 2nd pass coarse with spices/veggies/sharp cheddar) and then stuffed the sausage.  There are some learning curves but all in all it worked.  

Here are a couple of pictures of the Philadelphia Cheesesteak Brats.  They are in the refrig "aging" overnight and they will be devoured tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

I'll have to get a dedicated stuffer if I plan to do this regularly but for my occasional stuffing, this worked out well.  It definitely helped to have 2 people and I would say that this was a lot of work.  I grinded my own meat (beef/pork), doing 2 passes through the grinder (1st coarse, 2nd pass coarse with spices/veggies/sharp cheddar) and then stuffed the sausage.  There are some learning curves but all in all it worked.  

Here are a couple of pictures of the Philadelphia Cheesesteak Brats.  They are in the refrig "aging" overnight and they will be devoured tonight or tomorrow.

Looks terrific. I can't wait to start doing sausage. I've been reading everything I can and hoping I'll get a grinder for my B-Day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky