Permission to come aboard!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome to the SMF!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The "Smoking lamp" was an oil lamp from which the sailor would light their pipes, cigars, cigarettes etc. As fires were even less welcomed back in the day of wooden ships and no fire fighting equipment smoking was only allowed in the evening when the oil lamps where "lighted" below decks. It is easy to undertand why you wouldn't want the crew running around striking flints into a tinder box on board a wooden ship coated in oil and tar just to have a smoke.
rolleyes.gif

Althought in the days of old the term may have been 'lighted" because of the old english the term "lit" is more comonly used today.

I've been lit a few times, but never lighted... at least to my knowledge.
eek.gif

Weeeeeeeelllllllllll...................... Not to sound snooty or anything, BUT -
Back during the big war (Nam) on board the USS Sandoval APA194 (you may have shaved with part of it) with a full complement of Marines and all their equipment aboard, the smoking lamp was LIT. And announced as so over the ship's 1MC system.
Peculiarmike - former IC2.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Jeez Debi, do you ever run out of interesting facts? Mike, I was just going off what I know to be the current 1MC instruction. Then again, it all boils down to whatever the person talking on it says. I've heard it both ways too but the tradidional term is lighted. Oh well, It's not that important anyhow.

V/R,
FC2

Hey Mike You were IC also huh? KEWL!

I was the Navy's 1st female ICman and first women in the engineering rates. Italian ginnypig so to speak. No pressure there!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Brennan -

The only time in my career military or civilian ( I work for the Navy ) I'd ever heard them say "the smoking lamp was lighted" was during Naval History class in Boot camp. It was also mentioned in the 1970 edition of the Blue Jackets manual. There was a time in my life - many years ago that the Navy came first.

MY GOODNESS! ! ! I am awed and humbled by the warm and friendly welcome messages that you folks have posted in response to my request.. A couple of things that I need to clear up, though; since Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d rather not be denigrated when a thunderstorm spoils somebodyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s BBQ/SMOKING efforts I think I should point out that there is a difference between METROLOGY and METEOROLOGY.. Metrology is ‘the study/science of measurementsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji], this is people who test/certify the accuracy of measuring tools/instruments.. Meteorology is ‘the study of the skiesâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]; these are the weather prognosticators.. In my nautical career where I picked up the jargon, I was (when honorably discharged) avionics technician, AT1 (Avionics Technician, 1st Class..(E6))... Anyway, thanks bunches for the welcome, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll try not to rock the boat.. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m almost virginal as far as Smoking Meat, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be doing a lot of reading and trying the 5-day course trying to learn enough to ask somewhat intelligent questions.
Sam
icon_redface.gif

Ahoy matey. Been out of town so I missed the intros, but here's mine. Big hearty welcome to SMF. As you know, dont be afraid to ask and by all means, don be shy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky