peppering bacon before smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seadog92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I'm still not getting the bite I want in my bacon, so I'm increasing the red pepper next time. For the batch I just took out of the cure, can I pepper it before I put it in the smoker?

I'm putting up 2 bellies tomorrow so I'll photograph the whole process with recipe.

I too sprinkle CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder on all of my Bacons, after rinsing & patting dry, before the Pellicle.

Bear

Red pepper (cayenne) and ground black pepper have an almost identical heat index so the only difference should be in flavor.

I put 2  2#  chunks in the Fridge yesterday, after applying  the cure.   So This thread is timely.  I was wondering when to add pepper and other flavors.  I used the Marianski dry rub.  How long should I let it cure?

Georgel

If you want the pepper on the outside like a rub, after curing rinse off the bellies and add. If you are trying to infuse other flavors ( garlic, onion, etc) it is best to include it in the cure at the beginning so the flavors can infiltrate the bellies.

I put 2  2#  chunks in the Fridge yesterday, after applying  the cure.   So This thread is timely.  I was wondering when to add pepper and other flavors.  I used the Marianski dry rub.  How long should I let it cure?
Georgel

If you are using Marianski's recipe.... follow it.......

Thanks I wondered about that..  It occures to me that a brine cure might make the adding of flavors a bit easier . So I may try that in the future. However curing meat is largely about reducing the amount of water in it.  So a dry cure seems to make more sense from that perspective.

georgel

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky