Pellets for Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Curious if you guys think any pellet brands work better or worse for a Traeger. I'd love to be able to use Lumberjack Hickory in there since that's what I have on hand currently :)

Thank you!

I would try them. I use them in my Rec Tec and they are great. I've heard(no experience) bad things about traeger pellets. Maybe wrong, maybe right but either way, IMHO, any pellets close to $1 a lb. is overpriced.

Last edited:
I would try them. I use them in my Rec Tec and they are great. I've heard(no experience) bad things about traeger pellets. Maybe wrong, maybe right but either way, IMHO, any pellets close to $1 is overpriced.
Thanks! (and jealous of your rec tec!)
I bought a bag of Traeger signature pellets and ended up returning them to Costco after using them in the smoker tube a few times. I don't want to totally knock them since I didn't use them for the intended application but I didn't care for the flavor.

Reactions: kstone113
I have tried Traeger and Pit Boss. I was disappointed with both. The lady at the grill store said they are junk and to use Lumberjack. I did and like them much better.

I use them in a Green Mountain and have never had a feed problem. They are a bit smaller than the other two.

IMG_1071-M.jpg

Lumberjack 100% Oak on the left. Traeger blend of some sort on the right.

Last edited:
all I use are the pitboss pellets in the pitboss grill/smoker and pellet tube and amnps tray, haven't had any issues yet. they may have a little more dust then other brands (really don't know though) but at 1/2 the cost i'll deal with that.

I'd love to be able to use Lumberjack Hickory

LJ Hickory is all I use. Brands like Traeger, Pit Boss, and really most others, use only a small percentage of flavor wood with the bulk comprised of either oak or alder. Nothing wrong with those woods, but for pellet grills where it can be difficult to get enough smoke flavor, 100% Hickory gives me good smoke flavor without the need for smoke tubes.

Reactions: sweetride95
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky