Pellet tube smoker question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iceman6409

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Rochester, NY
So I have a 6" tube smoker I fill with pellets. First two times I used it it was great. Second two times there have been problems. I put a torch to get them lit but I am finding that now the pellets only burn for 30-60 seconds at best and then go out on their own. I apply minutes and minutes of torch flame and the same result. I get frustrated and eventually give up after about ten minutes of applying flame and get it in the smoker. A little smoke comes out but not like the first two times. Currently using B&B pellets. Any thoughts?

So I have a 6" tube smoker I fill with pellets. First two times I used it it was great. Second two times there have been problems. I put a torch to get them lit but I am finding that now the pellets only burn for 30-60 seconds at best and then go out on their own. I apply minutes and minutes of torch flame and the same result. I get frustrated and eventually give up after about ten minutes of applying flame and get it in the smoker. A little smoke comes out but not like the first two times. Currently using B&B pellets. Any thoughts?
My pellets came in a 20lb zip top bag and I have had no problem with them at all. Is there a chance your pellets have drawn moisture? If so I read on here somewhere that you can microwave the pellets and stir and microwave again to remove excess moisture. I bet someone will be along shortly to help, maybe this will help till then.

You can put them in the microwave just don't put them in and accidently put 5 mins instead of 50 seconds and go to the bathroom.
You will smoke out your microwave and your whole house will smell burnt for a month. Don't ask me how I know this

Anyway you shouldn't have tons of smoke coming from it anyway I don't know how much your first smoke had like you say but it should be a thin blue smoke.

I had trouble, same as you.

I "cooked" a pile of pellets in the oven, bbq, and smoker.... got them HOT and dry.

now, they smoke so much, I need to find a way to tame them!

I keep them in my living room at all times. Tops are rolled closed and I use a clothes pin to keep them shut. As far as air flow yesterday, as an example, it was 92 degrees here and not a breeze in the world. I tried it out in the open and then I would try putting it on the bottom rack of the smoker to block any potential breeze that might pop up. Both worked on some level. Even got a flame for a few minutes. I even put the torch flame down underneath the top of the pellets about and inch or so down to try and get those heated up and lit. As far as smoke it was a very thin smoke coming out. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be.

Had some trouble getting tube to stay lit. Then tried letting tube & pellets warm up in smoker while smoker warmed up or pellets could be microwaved for a couple of minutes. Warm pellets light much easier than cold. This works both in my Bradley electric & GM Daniel Boone. Hope this helps you.
Alan

I had trouble, same as you.

I "cooked" a pile of pellets in the oven, bbq, and smoker.... got them HOT and dry.

now, they smoke so much, I need to find a way to tame them!
Ya but mine started smoking inside my house :eek:

I keep them in my living room at all times.
\

I can see it now...and here's a pic of our daughter Jane when she was just 3, and here's a bag of our pellets at only 2 weeks old -- We're just so proud of them.

I keep mine in the garage year round in the original bag from Todd. When I use them I do the microwave thing and haven't had any issues(yet). Give it a try.

Chris

Reactions: nanuk
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky