Pellet Smoker Recommendation for Family of 3 under $500

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a PB 1000SC (similar to Austin XL). I love it. Never had any issues with the three part grates, it does make it easier to take them out. I think two bigger ones would be heavy and awkward. I've done just about everything on this grill. 20lb brisket to hot dogs. It does a very good job for the price. Would I have a Rec Tec 700 if I could afford it? Absolutely! Instead I have a six month old son, I think I'll keep him. Lol.

Thumps up for another PB pellet cooker enthusiast. Yes, my 700S has two grate sections, but it is also smaller. I'm sure you could easily feed a crowd of ten or more with the Austin XL or 1000 series. I have been scolded for calling these things "grills". Okay, I get it - it's more of an outdoor pellet-fueled oven, but it can do a good smoke, especially with the addition of an AMZN tube. That said, if the OP only wants to do low and slow and smoke, and will never want to use their new cooker as a grill or high-temp oven, then I have to believe one of the vertical pellet "cabinet" smokers will perform a bit better, though I have no experience with one.

Reactions: Steff3
Ya know folks keep throwing the 560 out there when others ask about pellet grills and as much as I want 1 I know my pellet rig will cook a lot cheaper ,it might not matter to some folks to spend $15-$20 on charcoal for a long smoke and the size of the meat may get smaller lol. in warm temps mine lopes along at around 1 lbs a hour and maybe less to run at 200-225,

Ya know folks keep throwing the 560 out there when others ask about pellet grills and as much as I want 1 I know my pellet rig will cook a lot cheaper ,it might not matter to some folks to spend $15-$20 on charcoal for a long smoke and the size of the meat may get smaller lol. in warm temps mine lopes along at around 1 lbs a hour and maybe less to run at 200-225,

The 560 should be comparable. Forced air and PID controlled so it's not wasting fuel and you can get charcoal dirt cheap on sale. Only inefficiency is the firebox is effectively offset so some heat is likely lost. I'd get a welding blanket for the cook chamber and call it a day.

Hi I have my Rec Tec 590 for a few weeks and every cook/smoke held temps excellent. I even did an 10 hr over night RT held 225 the whole time. It is built like a tank. Customer service has been top notch!! The best $$ I've ever spend on smoker.
He will thank me later 4 sure.
Dan

Reactions: Buttah Butts
The OP has been MIA for a while ... hopefully not too confused and throwing hands up.
Keep in mind his/her upper budget is 500, and “definitely sticking with pellet ...”

That said, I do agree that if at all possible, it’s usually worth it in the long run to stretch budget to buy demonstrably better quality. Have had to learn the lesson too many times with lots of things. WRT outdoor appliances, haven’t regretted my Vidalia grill or BGE, but while my PB vertical electric is serviceable, wish I’d sprung for a Smokin-It.

Just stop with the brand evangelism. They aren't paying you are they? Rec Tec makes a decent product but they're not any better than Grilla or Mak.
Correct, but they are leaps and bounds better than traeger, GMG, weber, pit boss and countless other. I’ve had a traeger and a GMG and they were both pieces of s**t.

My PB has been great at 1/2 the price of the rec tec, I say its your $ spend what you can and make it work.

Reactions: Steff3
I'm still here. Just reading and taking in all the info. Great stuff so far!

@civilsmoker mentioned it above but you might do a little research on Masterbuilt 560. Right at the $500 price point and people seem to love them. Gravity fed charcoal smoker with just as much ease as a pellet rig. Wifi controls and all that jazz. Sorry I know you said you are only interested in those three pellet models but just throwing it out there. Looking at one myself.
I love the idea of this budget gravity fed smoker but refuse to even consider buying one.
Masterbuilts customer service is about as bad as you will find anywhere, nope not taking the chance after reading how crappy M.B. has been treating their customers.

Camp Chef would be my vote, I've only had one problem in 2 yrs and they/ Camp Chef resolved right away and the part was at my house 2 days later. Just know going into any pellet smoker that you aren't going to get that big T.X. offset smoker taste out of a pellet grill no matter what you do to it. So if you like heavy smoked tastes look else where because a pellet smoker won't get you there.

Good luck, and let us know what you go with.
Dan

I love the idea of this budget gravity fed smoker but refuse to even consider buying one.
Masterbuilts customer service is about as bad as you will find anywhere, nope not taking the chance after reading how crappy M.B. has been treating their customers.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had any problems out of the two electric MES units I have owned but will def think twice in the future if their CS sucks that bad!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky