Pellet and dust storage...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
daveomak daveomak and Bearcarver Bearcarver - How are you guys storing your wood dust? I had a bag of pellets that I left in the back of my truck one day while cooking at the firehouse for the guys, it got wet. Ive used up all the resulting dust and have bought new bags. I want to keep them dry this time around. I had to throw away 1/3 a bag of hickory pellets that got wet- moldy and fungus growing in it.

I just made a bunch of coarse pellet dust in preparation for my upcoming BBB smoke. I am curious what kind of a system you guys are using.

@bearcarver-seems like I remember you use some containers to keep it organized but I can't find the thread you posted this info in.

Anyone else have a good system?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
daveomak daveomak and Bearcarver Bearcarver - How are you guys storing your wood dust? I had a bag of pellets that I left in the back of my truck one day while cooking at the firehouse for the guys, it got wet. Ive used up all the resulting dust and have bought new bags. I want to keep them dry this time around. I had to throw away 1/3 a bag of hickory pellets that got wet- moldy and fungus growing in it.

I just made a bunch of coarse pellet dust in preparation for my upcoming BBB smoke. I am curious what kind of a system you guys are using.

@bearcarver-seems like I remember you use some containers to keep it organized but I can't find the thread you posted this info in.

Thanks in advance.

I recently bought a pellet grill, but I use a charcoal container. It's basically the same kind of container you would use to store pet food.

Kitty litter buckets with the hinged snap down lids as Holly suggested are the best storage I have discovered as well.

I usually find them on recycling day whenever I need one or you can ask a relative or neighbor who has a cat to save them for you.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: fivetricks
I use old plastic pickle jars from the school I work at. I just ask the lunch ladies to hold them for me and in a week or so they have 4 or 5. You can see them on the cart in the bottom shelf in this picture. They hold 5 pounds of pellets perfectly.
20190113_144630.jpg

Kitty litter buckets with the hinged snap down lids as Holly suggested are the best storage I have discovered as well.

I usually find them on recycling day whenever I need one or you can ask a relative or neighbor who has a cat to save them for you.

John
Thanks for posting John...

Thanks in advance.

I store all my pellets in plastic storage buckets that I get from the local grocery store that they get their frosting in for their cakes. They have an airtight lid. I get them for 75 cents a bucket. Also work great as brining buckets.

I just use a clean 5 gallon bucket in my garage. When it's too full to out the lid on, I put the empty pellet bag over top, similar to plastic wrap. Then as I use some of the pellets, I snap the lid in place.

Menards/HD sell a threaded lid for 5 gallon buckets that makes it way easier to remove and replace the lids.

Thanks in advance.

This (Below) is the one you were looking for.
I keep both my Pellets & Dust in a mess of these.
Top Shelf in a cabinet is Dust & second shelf is Pellets.
Left half is Hickory & Right half is "Everything Else". LOL

They all have Threaded tops & don't allow "ANY" Humidity in, even after 8 years in my unheated garage.

DSC01239.JPG

I like to mix the cob... I don't care for straight cob... Maybe I added too much smoke but now I mix it...
40%.COB..... 40%.ALDER (apple)... 20%.MESQUITE (hickory and oak)
Alder adds a sweetness... I like that on ham and bacon.. The mesquite adds a "what's that" to the meat.. I like a tinge of mesquite.. The cob, I haven't figured out what it's flavor is...
Our friend, whom has recently not shown up here, started me on this mix stuff... He accidentally mixed apple, pecan and mesquite... and loved it... Crankybuzzard... you remember him.. What has happened to cranky anyway... I sent him a PM months back but no response...

This (Below) is the one you were looking for.
I keep both my Pellets & Dust in a mess of these.
Top Shelf in a cabinet is Dust & second shelf is Pellets.
Left half is Hickory & Right half is "Everything Else". LOL

They all have Threaded tops & don't allow "ANY" Humidity in, even after 8 years in my unheated garage.

View attachment 389645
That's the post I was thinking of! Thanks for posting Bear!

I like to mix the cob... I don't care for straight cob... Maybe I added too much smoke but now I mix it...
40%.COB..... 40%.ALDER (apple)... 20%.MESQUITE (hickory and oak)
Alder adds a sweetness... I like that on ham and bacon.. The mesquite adds a "what's that" to the meat.. I like a tinge of mesquite.. The cob, I haven't figured out what it's flavor is...
Our friend, whom has recently not shown up here, started me on this mix stuff... He accidentally mixed apple, pecan and mesquite... and loved it... Crankybuzzard... you remember him.. What has happened to cranky anyway... I sent him a PM months back but no response...
I remember you telling me about Best Cob....
Closest retailer that has it is in Dallas. I may need to call my aunt that lives in Dallas and ask her to pick up 4 bags for me....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky