Pecan Crusted Pork Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
Last Tuesday I got some thick cut boneless pork chops and felt a little experimenting was in order.

I placed 1/2 cups of Pecan halves in the food processer along with 1/2 cups of dry bread crumbs. I pulsed everything until the Pecans were small bits.

I coated each chop with yellow mustard, fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt.

The chops were than rolled in the nut/crumb/sugar mixture.
The chop on the lower right is just coated with bread crumbs cuz on of the kids doesn't like pecans!

The chops were then hot smoked at 300* it an internal temp of 160* (still can't get the family to accept that 140* pork is safe to eat :roll: )

The chops were then served with cornbread dressing and cheesy mashed potatoes.

The verdict-The pork tasted great, but the smoke flavor was a little heavy. I used 5 maple chunks and one chunk of cherry (in memory of Bro. Scott).

I may have to try this on the grill with a foil smoke pouch and see how it fairs.

Dad Gummit Dutch,

You win the Best Posts and Pics award...that meal looks fantastic...I too want to add that to my to do list...They Look Delicious...

Thanks for sharing... :D

Steve

:oops: I'm still new here so I'm not sure if it's acceptable to mention cooking methods other than smoking, but those beautiful crusted chops were screaming out to me for a hot suate in EVOO, finishing in the(here's th 4 letter word)oven, w/ a quick demiglace pan sauce. :oops: :oops: Oops, there goes that creative thinking again.

Keep up the good work!

Carl, next time I'm going to reduce the amount of breadcrumbs and the brownsugar by about half. That should enhance the pecan flavor more methinks.

Bob, borrow away- note my planned alterations to the recipe.

Dickie, I'd planned to saute them in EVOO, but the mentioned that I hadn't played with the smoker in about a week (like "hint, hint") I have the leftovers in a couple of foodsaver bags in the freezer, When I do the re-heat thing, I'll use my favorite castiron fry pan the the ol' EVOO. That should really give it a nice crust.

Great minds work alike.

Speaking of that, when you say pork and brwn sgr, cinnamon and nutmeg come to mind. Whaddya think?

Ddbbq-

Don't use nutmeg much-that's on the wife's side of the spice cabinet :P.
But I do an 'oven' fried chicken that uses cinnamon along with some garlic salt, white pepper and flour. The original recipe called for paprika (for color) which I had ran out of so I looked in the cupboards for something that would add color. I looked hard at using chili powder but the wife gave me one of them "DON'T YOU DARE!!" looks so I went with the cinnamon and the rest they say is history!!

Nutmeg's one of my favorites, that and cloves. I don't much see either of them used in Q recipes, well I guess a few sauce recipes.

I get alot of " what is that whang I taste?" comments. People all recognize the flavors, but they don't associate it w/ BBQ, and so it becomes the mystery ingredient.

Whoa Dutch, Good looking grub ... nice and moist looking also .. Great pics and will be on my to list also ... they really look awesome ..

Joe

Dutch those chops look really good.....i've got some thawing out and knew i'd find something here to help me out with a delicious meal. I read your recipe 3 times and i must be missing something. After you coated the chops with mustard you then coated them with your pecan/bread crumbs/brown sugar. But i could not find how much brown sugar you mixed in. And then a few lines down you mentioned about cutting back on the brown sugar and bread crumbs to the pecan flavor comes out more. I'm thinking by now you have tuned that recipe to perfection, so if you would be kind enough to pass on i'll be using it really soon

Thanks
Bill

Sorry Bill for the late reply (been under the weather), I used 1 cup of brown sugar with was too much. Use about 1/2 cup of brown sugar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky