Pearl onions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
This morning I'm doing some pickled Pearl Onions. I got two packs from Walmart.

PB073372.jpg

Didn't take allot of pictures. I had a few things going on at once. I used:
2 cups cider vinegar
1.5 TBS pickling spice
1 TBS pickling salt
1/4 tsp Alum 1/8 tsp in each jar.
2 teaspoons dried dill. 1 tsp in each jar.
Bring the vinegar, salt, and pickling spice to a boil.
Trim the root end from each onion. And then put the pearl onions in boiling water for 30 seconds.
Remove, and put in cold, ice water. Let set a minute or so.
Then pinch the onion on the top. And it'll slide right out of its birthday suit.
I divided these into 2 pint jars.
Then added the brine and vac sealed.

PB073378.jpg

I'll try in about a sweek.

Reactions: JC in GB
Have you thought of using "Pickle Crisp" ??

Pickle Crisp, I learned, is a trade name for calcium chloride, a common additive in commercial canning. Calcium chloride is used for several purposes, but in pickles it is mainly a firming agent.

Alum.....
An alum ( /ˈæləm/) is a type of chemical compound, usually a hydrated double sulfate salt of aluminium with the general formula XAl(SO 4) 2·12H 2O, where X is a monovalent cation such as potassium or ammonium. By itself, "alum" often refers to potassium alum, with the formula KAl(SO 4) 2·12H 2O.

Aluminum is a "suspected" contributor to Alzheimers....

One of the most publicized and controversial theories concerns aluminum, which became a suspect in Alzheimer's disease when researchers found traces of this metal in the brains of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Many studies since then have either not been able to confirm this finding or have had questionable results.

Aluminum does turn up in higher amounts than normal in some autopsy studies of Alzheimer's patients, but not in all. Further doubt about the importance of aluminum stems from the possibility that the aluminum found in some studies did not all come from the brain tissues being studied. Instead, some could have come from the special substances used in the laboratory to study brain tissue.

Thought about it. But the "reports" on Alum are so wishy washy I tend to discard it. I have the Ball pickle crisp mix.

Steve....... BEFORE you don't recognize the guy in the mirror, it's a simple thing to switch...

I see the ravages from Alzheimer's every time I see my father. Rather not discuss this topic if you don't mind.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky