PBC question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
I have a question about regulating PBC temps for anyone who uses these. Anyone have issues with temp regulation?

I have the intake open 1/4 per the recommendations and both times I’ve used it, my temps are hot. Today I’ve sat between 360-380 for 3 hours so far.

I’m using royal oak briquettes and only lighting 20 to start. I’m putting them in an opening in the middle of the coals (like minion method).

I’ve done chicken twice and, to be fair, it’s been awesome but I’d like to try to run a tad lower!

Thanks for any advice!

Stock temp probe? I ask because when I bought my New Braunsfel the previous owner was complaining he couldn't get it to run lower temps without closing everything off. Turns out the stock temp is just that far off.

My PBC starts around 280 and after 5 hours when the butt is finished the temp has climbed up to 300. My routine with it is filling charcoal basket then I put 24 briquettes in the chimney it's what seems to work for the climate I live. I set a timer for 20 min (I'm at 3,000 ft elevation) from when the paper under chimney was lit. If you're under 2,000 ft elevation you will want to let it burn in the chimney for no more than 12 min. I have my meat prepared and ready for the PBC before the timer stops. When it stops I pour and spread coals evenly then put the grate in(if being used) then both hanging bars in and and put meat in. I don't leave the lid off for more than 5-10min from when coals are placed and meats in the smoker. I then let it do it's thing and don't take the lid off for the whole cook. I will admit my temps spike above 300 for about the first 30min then stabilize at 280 and slowly climb to 300 as meat gets warmer/hotter. Hope this helps if you haven't found a way that works for you yet. Also if I remember correctly the first 3 cooks on it the temps ran pretty hot.

Reactions: JCAP
I’ve used it about 4 times now and enjoy it. If I plug two of the rebar holes with foil it settles in between 310-330. I’m good with that and can probably get it lower with less fuel. Sure is fun though!

Don't know the sizes off the top of my head and never measured. The 4 holes at the top (on the sides) are about the size of a quarter. The intake at the bottom is like 3.5 inches or so. I'm thinking to get some magnets or cork for the exhaust holes at the top. I don't need the rods in unless I'm hanging something, so probably covering 3 out of the 4 would bring me lower.

Replace 1 valve with a 1/2" full flow valve.. Use it to adjust the intake air flow.. Might need a bushing reducer and other fittings... Adjust the intake air first, before you block off the exhaust holes...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky