Pastrami Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
I told xray xray that I was going to start a pastrami ... well, here goes! I went to my local meat market looking for 5 pounds of eye of round. They sell it for $5.99 a pound - they brought this cyrovac bag out from the back. It weighed in at 6-3/4 pounds and they said if I bought the whole cut they'd drop the price to $3.99 a pound.

SOLD!!!

I trimmed the fat cap off, cut it in half, and injected it throughout, then bagged it up in SmokinAl SmokinAl 's pastrami brine (I sed the same brine to inject it). In 2 weeks it'll be ready for a soak, seasoning, and smoke, ultimately ending up being sous vide. Thanks you all for the inspiration and knowledge you all share on this forum. It's fun to try new things!
thumbnail.jpeg

Today is the day!!

I pulled the corned beef from the brine yesterday and soaked it in an ice water bath for several hours .... then, following SmokinAl SmokinAl 's awesome tutorial, I slathered them with mustard, and then seasoned them with a rub made from pepper, coriander, brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, onion and garlic. Then I wrapped them, and put them in the icebox to rest overnight.

Up and at em .. I set the Yoder at 250F, and set them up with a smoldering tube of pellets for a little extra smoke.

I'm going to pull them at 130F IT, and then sous vide them ...

thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg

Reactions: xray
So, I smoked them to an internal temperature of 130F, and brought them inside. I vacuum packed them with a decent pat of butter ( to help add moisture, and why not, it's butter????)

Into the sous vide cooler for a 20 hour bath at 132F ....

Breakfast tomorrow should be epic. I'm planing on making SmokinAl SmokinAl 's Thousand Island sauce recipe too....

thumbnail-5.jpeg
thumbnail-6.jpeg
thumbnail-7.jpeg
thumbnail-8.jpeg

Reactions: xray and Jabiru
I couldn't wait to slice in to my first pastrami, and when I took my first bite, I had an appifininy. I will never buy pastrami from the store ever again. And probably never but corned beef either. This was so easy to make .... the only "problem" is the wait! But if I set up a production schedule, it won't be an issue.

IT IS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!

Once again, thanks to everyone on this forum that share their knowledge and recipes, especially SmokinAl SmokinAl .

I'm already planning my next batch.

thumbnail-12.jpeg
thumbnail-9.jpeg
thumbnail-10.jpeg
thumbnail-11.jpeg

That’s some good looking Pastrami!! Better get another one started because that one won’t last long.

Very nice.

Looks superb. The cooler setup is a beauty, I might have to get myself a setup like that. :emoji_wink:

I use this one, but buy the red one because it is cheaper...
Coleman Stacker Packer Ice chest

Drill a hole in it for the sous vide machine. They also make a 30qt. which is deeper and can hold larger cuts. I store my sous vide machine in the cooler in the box it came in.

indaswamp indaswamp : Cool, thanks for the info mate, perfect setup you have got.. I reckon we can get those Coolers here. Got my Birthday coming soon so pointed my missus in the right direction, SV and cooler :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky