Pastrami Time !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, had a bit of a smaller sized brisket in the freezer that needed used up & the wife asked bout making more pastrami ! Well, twist my arm ! As soon as she said that, had the brisky out & thawing within 5 minutes ! :biggrin:

So, here we go a couple days after just trimmed a bit of the loose fatty stuff off !

Couple tablespoons of McCormick's pickling spice simmered in a cup of water & cooled before mixing in the brine !

Mixed up some of Pop's brine, added the pickling spice & off to the beer fridge for what ended up being 13 days !

Pulled out, rinsed & cut in half to fit in the MES ! Seasoned with some onion powder, garlic powder & some CBP ! Back in the beer fridge for one more day !

Bout 8:00 this morning, got the AMNPS filled & fired up with Pitmaster's Choice dust ! And we were in business !

Here it is bout 2 1/2 hrs in ! Smelling real good !

I will update as I go here... Thanks for lookin all !

drool.gif
drool.gif
Justin that looks really mouth watering good. 

Richie

So, bout 5 hrs in ! When I trimmed the brisky, I froze the fat trimmings to use when smokin the strami ! I seen SmokinAl do this on his pastrami smoke & looked like an awesome idea... Thanks Al !

So, put the trimmings on & refilled the AMNPS !

I am glad I have an eye round cured for dry beef so I can have some meat tomorrow. LOL

Richie

drool.gif

Looking good Justin, there are some many posts of smokes I need to do I can hardly decide what to make.

Pastrami is one of my favs! I picked up on that fat basting trick of Smokin Al's too, always had good luck with it.

Keep us posted on the strami!

Looking good Justin, there are some many posts of smokes I need to do I can hardly decide what to make.

Pastrami is one of my favs! I picked up on that fat basting trick of Smokin Al's too, always had good luck with it.

Keep us posted on the strami!

Thanks John, I've never been able to eat pastrami until I made my own ! Store bought gives me terrible heartburn ! [emoji]128293[/emoji] First time I've tried the fat trimmings on top, makes sense though !

Looking real nice, Justin!!:drool ----:points:

I've been putting fat trimmings above my Hams for years, but I put them in a pan with drip holes in it, so when they shrink they don't fall through my grills and end up all over the bottom of my smoker.

Be Back to see the slices!!

:popcorn

Bear

Thanks a bunch Bear, yea I should have at least done some foil or somethin ! My bad there !

I've decided though, one of my next smokes is gonna be this one !

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140055/boston-butt-pulled-pork-step-by-step

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky