Pastrami & pork butt smoke - advice please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daytripper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
Hi all

I'm thinking of smoking a pork butt & a chuck-beef pastrami together on a BGE. Plan is stacking them on a multi-level grill at 250deg then to eat the pastrami on the night, and bag-up the pork for another day.

Which meat should go on top, the pastrami or pork?
Any other advice or thoughts welcome - this is my first pastrami, from a recipe in TheCaterer

thanks!
marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JLeonard
Ideally, you'd want to smoke them side by side or separately but knowing how much fat is going to come off of a pork shoulder/butt, I would put that one on the bottom and the beef on the top. There's still going to be drippage though.

Being the lazy sort that I am, provided that each protein will be fully done when pulled, I'd put the one that will finish first on top.

Like Al SmokinAl SmokinAl said, side by side so your rubs , if different are not dripping on the other. And changing the expected flavours.

What I do in mine is I know my smoker has racks in it but I also use a tray than another rack that the meat sits on , so each shelf is kind of self contained

As you can see in the second picture 2 kinds of ribs with different glazes and no dripping on the lower ribs from above

DSC_2348.JPG
7.JPG

David

thanks all, will try an fit side-by-side.

I've got 5.5lb of chuck meat as the pastrami - should I tie it when grilling to have it keep its shape..?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky