partially burnt pellets in A-Maze-N

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
what do you guys do when you're done smoking your food but the pellets in your AMN pellet smoker or tube still has a ways to go? do you guys reuse the partially charred pieces (after snuffing out the ember), or discard them?

I scoop the burned up one's away from the unburnt ones with a spoon so they burn out on their own. Then reuse the rest at a later time

Alot of times if it's less then an inch, I toss them. Chances are fat dripped right into them and put them out. If it's a significant amount, I'll get the smoldering ones out and keep the clean ones as well. Really depends on how long you plan to wait between smokes, and the weather. If it's humid? I don't bother keeping them, they'll just not place nice and are better being tossed.

I keep the good pellets, and the charred ones go in my cast iron pan that I warm and hot smoke with. I sift the ash out (put that in the compost pile) and use the charcoal generated from the previous smoke to light the wood on the next smoke. I get a quick fire and TBS almost immediately this way...

Any reason why you guys are dumping the charred ones? I don't have any tray or tube smokers but i assume the charred pieces would be easier to light for the next time you want to use it.

I use a mailbox mod, so no drips get on the chips.

When I'm finished smoking, I move the unburned pellets away from those that are burning and let the tray burn out overnight in the external smoker. Our neighbor's house burned down thirty years ago when he threw the "ashes" from his fireplace into the trash, which was kept in the garage, so I'm really paranoid about throwing out anything that was once on fire.

I then save the unburned pellets. If there are a few charred pellets mixed in, I don't obsess about them, and let them come along for the next party. They'll burn just fine and will taste just the same.

Reactions: indaswamp
I scoop the burned up one's away from the unburnt ones with a spoon so they burn out on their own. Then reuse the rest at a later time

Exactly!!
I keep a Teaspoon handy specifically for separating the burned pellets from the unburned..
Actually if anyone is interested:
I keep a 9" X 12" foil pan, with a foil wrapped fire brick inside it, to set my AMNPS on while lighting it.
This way I can set this pan on my railing without hurting it.
Inside the pan, I keep a teaspoon, and some wood clothes pins (spring type) for attaching to my Maverick cables at the top vent to position the temp probes when I lower them to where I want them. I just clamp them on the cable above the vent---The pin won't fit through the little hole, so that's where it stops.

I can also dump any spilled pellets or dust back into the storage jugs, from that pan.

Bear

When it comes to the AMNTS I reuse everything that is not fully burnt.

Been using the u-bolt mod with tube for quite some time now.And with inspiration from fellow member chopsaw I've been using crushed (not dust) pellets in the tube with incredible success.I've found adding my remains both unburnt or partial to a new load makes this method even better.A simple sift through a mesh strainer works great to get all but the ash.

Reactions: chopsaw
I only use my AmnpS about 6 times a year, so tossing a dozen charred pellets per use isn't a big issue.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky