PAPAYA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tim Patrick

Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Newby here. First post.

We love fajitas, London broil and tri-tip roasts on the smoker. I have tried several tenderizers seeking perfection and someone told me about papaya. This fruit is loaded with papain enzyme, a natural protein breakdown agent.

I bought some skirt steaks and used a whole Mexican papaya for the marinade. I sliced it in long sections, peeled and removed the seeds and emulsified it in a blender with some soy and brown sugar. The recipe called for marinating the meat for a few hours. I did it for 24 hours. I rinsed the meat and seasoned as I normally do with a store bought seasoning blend. I put the steak on my Camp Chef smoke at 350° for 30 minutes. It was beyond tender as in fall apart tender.

You can also skip using the papaya fruit and use the peel/skin only. It needs to be finely chopped to the point of mush. Then place in a blender with some water.

Wow 24 hours, If I did that with fresh pineapple juice it would probably have turned to mush. Usually about 3 hours is my timing.

Reactions: zwiller
Using the skin is of particular interest to me. Wonder how much skin is needed in a marinade to facilitate tenderness? I wouldn’t use the fruit due to sugar but love this idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky