Panchetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robertswan

Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
I need some help I am making panchetta it’s been in the fridge for 5 days now, and I made a crucial mistake my by putting enough salt and insta cure 2 for ten pounds of meat on five. I coated the belly with 135 grams of salt and 12 grams of insta cure 2 (2 teaspoons) aside from being to salty is it way to much insta cure? Is it a flop?

You will end up with around 6% salt if you leave it.

I suggest pulling the pancetta out, rinsing it off, and start over with the correct amount of salt and cure #2. You are still early in the curing process so you will be ok if you rinse and re-salt.

I recommend using 2.5%...which would be 56.75g. salt.

Thanks for the advice what would you suggest for length of cure before I hang it.
You will end up with around 6% salt if you leave it.

I suggest pulling the pancetta out, rinsing it off, and start over with the correct amount of salt and cure #2. You are still early in the curing process so you will be ok if you rinse and re-salt.

I recommend using 2.5%...which would be 56.75g. salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky