Pan seared Halibut with Smokey Mac N Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Case,
That looks awesome. I have a bunch of Halibut which I caught earlier this year which I need to consume. So what's your pan seared Halibut recipe? Maybe this will get me off my backside. Thanks for posting it.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Pretty simple. I take the thawed halibut and dry it off with paper towels and set it out to dry a bit (15-30minutes) while warming up the cast iron pan (or other heavy pan). Heat enough oil over high heat. ( I used olive oil) Needs to be enough to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/8" deep. Oil should be shimmering.

Season the fish with S&P. Lower heat to medium high. Carefully place fish into pan presentation side down. Firmly press into pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully flip fish, lower heat to medium-low and cook until fish is done.

If making a finishing sauce, remove fish from pan. De-glaze with white wine, add lemon juice from one lemon and 1-2 tablespoons zest, fresh dill and 1/2 stick butter. Reduce over medium heat. To this I'll sometimes add capers and garlic. Drizzle over fish.

The sauce that I made for this particular cook was a beurre blanc sauce. I wasn't paying attention and left the heat on (should be off the heat when adding the butter) and it broke. Was still tasty but not pretty! Here's the recipe:

Lemon Dill beurre Blanc
  • 1 cup dry white wine, chardonnay recommended
  • 1/3 cup shallots, minced
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, chilled
  • 3 tablespoons dill, chopped fresh
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 3 teaspoons lemon juice
  • kosher salt, to taste
Directions:
  • In a small saucepan, heat wine, and shallots over medium-high heat, until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 12-15 minutes.
  • Turn off the heat. Gradually add each cube of butter into the reduction, whisking each piece to create a thicker emulsified sauce.
  • Add the chopped dill, lemon zest and lemon juice into the sauce, whisking to combine. Taste the sauce and season with salt as needed. Set sauce aside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky