paint or season

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjsul

Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
So I'm buttoning up the last of the details on my first smoker build and thinking about the finish.

I've read a handful of threads about which paint people have used, whats easy to touch up, etc.

I think I also read about people not even painting their firebox because it gets so hot most paints will flake, peel, and bubble at some point or another. Instead, they season the outside with oil / fat

Can anyone chime in about this? Could I just season the whole thing and call it done?

At this point I have wiped it down with acetone and wire wheel'ed it. It looks nicer, but the steel doesn't look consistently clean. Should I go through with a flap disk instead?

Any help is appreciated!!

- James

P.S. Here is my build thread http://smokingmeatforums.com/index....fb-1st-smoker-build-first-fab-project.268128/

I ended up painting the whole thing with Rustoleum brush on high heat paint (1200*)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky