Overwintering 2017/2018

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry to hear that. May i ask what happened to your plant actually? I had two ghost plants, the one didn't survive the winter, i think it was partially my fault because i didn't feed it enough. But this ghost pepper plant i have now, when i brought it outside literally all the leaves died off of it and it was probably 3 weeks before any came back. I thought i killed this one as well but something told me to just wait so i did. Now it's very healthy, but i wouldn't have it if i would of thrown it away because i thought it died
After being out of direct sunlight for such a long time the plant needs to be introduced to sun light gradually. If it's a potted plant that can't be easily brought inside daily after a few hours of only shade then 100% shade for two weeks. If they are seedlings, then one hour of shade the first day, then back inside and the same the next day, then three hours shade each day for two days, then one hour sun daily, then stays outside in the shade for two days etc. Otherwise the plant leaves and stems will sunburn to a whitish/silver color and die. Some people though the plant appeared diseased but I knew they were sunburnt going from inside to a permanent outdoor pot. My choc hab seedlings about died. Google hardening plants and sunburnt plants.

I watered my Ghost Pepper monthly over the winter without fertilizer so it would go dormant and slowly leaves fell and I cut back stems as they died. Sunburning was its cause of death in the spring when moved to direct sun. Also, whitefly knats must have laid eggs in the soil last fall because half way through the winter the pot inside was loaded with them in the soil and flying in the kitchen and they laid eggs on the choc hab seedlings to eat the new tender leaves. I had to rinse the seedlings under tap water to wash off tiny eggs weekly till they went outside. So all that winter babysitting made me want these plant outside asap.

I've picked fifty Chocolate Habaneros so far this season and they have the traditional sweetness of the orange hab with a smokey/earthiness similar to very light cumin. They're larger and hotter than the orange variety. This year I used the same potted soil from last years Ghost Peppers. I put spent coffee grounds on top of the soil for nitrogen and a cup of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) per 1.5 gallons of water every other month to aid in the uptake of nitrogen to keep leaves dark green. Lots of dehydrating and grinding to make powder this year.
20180807_114436.jpg

20180807_114439.jpg

20180809_084437.jpg

A real collection there might have to find some of those seeds.

Warren
I'm drying some seeds for a couple weeks on paper plates and I can mail some in an envelope if you want. I'll send them in fall/winter cool months. PM me if you would like some.

20180822_161247.jpg
I can't get rid of these choc habs fast enough. I picked these 70 peppers the other day from my two plants and need to get more off the plant and make smoked hab chipotle powder. Smoke an Amnps tray of pecan dust for 12 -16 hours at 140 till dry. I have a half a pound of plain powder already and made over a quart of hot sauce.

Finally got a rack of 133 halved Choc Habs with Qmatz to smoke from post #49.
20180829_113018.jpg

Reactions: BDASPNY
I'm drying some seeds for a couple weeks on paper plates and I can mail some in an envelope if you want. I'll send them in fall/winter cool months. PM me if you would like some.

id be interested in some seeds if you have extra. I could trade some habanada seeds for them.

double post

please delete

id be interested in some seeds if you have extra. I could trade some habanada seeds for them.
PM/Conversation me your address and when I can I'll mail some out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky