Overnight smoke gone wrong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chad925

Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Ok. Father in law brought a beautiful enormous brisket over. I smoked it for about 10 hours, then turned it up to 350 for about a half hour. Internal temp reached about 140 ish, then we decided to let it just smoke overnight.
Checked the brisket @ 11pm, all was good. Woke up at 3am to check, smoker and brisket cool to the touch. Outside temp is 45 F. So at the most this thing sat for 4 hours.
Question: chuck it or keep smoking it up to that 195-200 degree internal temp mark? I would be serving it to family... thanks.
Been meaning to join the forums, nothing like a little panic to help move the process along.

Pros:
you went above 140F at 11AM or with in the first 4 hours
Depending on when your smoker heat died figure 2 hour window to die and cool some time after 11AM

Cons:
Day light savings 5 hour window 3AM would have been 4am

brisket cool off time 3 hours
how pull apart is it?
45F is not far off from fridge temp....
I always cool to room temp before I put in fridge

if it were mine I would heat to ITT of 150F(kill off anything) or higher and eat!

Last edited:
First off re-heating food that has started to spoil does nothing more than heat up spoiled food it will not stop the spoilage of the meat. Chances are your brisket is fine if it were pork or poultry I would toss it.

Reactions: zippy12
So about the time change... really woke up at 2am but that was actually 3am in accordance to the 11pm pre-time change bedtime (LOL). So the meat could have sat for 4 hours without heat worst case scenario. Checked outside temp at that time and it was actually 42F.
I’ll tell ya. Between feeding/changing diapers and burping my 2 month old daughter and checking briskets on the smoker in the middle of the night, I’m not sawing to many Z’s. I should start brewing coffee in the bathtub. o_O

A little late to the party for this.
Solution should have already been decided by now, but here is my 2 cents.

Following HACCP guidelines I would do the following.

I know you were not cooling, but this is the best fit for your situation.

>140 degrees to <70 degrees in 2 hours
Then <41degrees in 4 hours.

If you do not meet one of the time and temperature guidelines. The correction process is to reheat to >165 degrees in under 2 hours. Then serve or redo the cooling process. 1 time only for this.

Reactions: zippy12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky