Our First Comp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Did our first comp on Sat. Was small only 10 entires.

We did 3 diff pork butts for our turn in.
Our side entry was Jeffs beans.
Also we did a side item and they supplied the meat for a mystery entry.

The mystery meat which we got to select was covered so we didnt know what it was.

Our was what they called old style bologna.
20220604_102022.jpg

The bologna was our mystery turn in which didnt score high because i heard the 2 lady judges didnt like bologna of any kind so nothing there.
20220604_155405.jpg

The bean (Jeffs) Did not win. We got beat by another bean turn in that was bland and way to much bell pepper. (oh well)
20220604_145035.jpg

Our main was 3 diff pork butts. 2 were rubbed, 1 with chupacabra and other was Heat Riles.
The other butt was Carolina Treet liquid rub.

Our pork turn in.
20220604_154730.jpg

And we won 3rd with the pork.
20220604_161110.jpg

And $100
20220604_162430.jpg

Hey we had a good time and met lots of good folks. We also got an invite to another bbq in August.

The guy who won 1st place was his first comp. He even told me that we should have won because our turn in was presented way better. Thanks dude but its al good.

The box and the beans look like money to me. Nice work. Oh and I’d tear that bologna up. Looks delicious. All around like.

Way to show up . I've never competed , but those boxes look perfect . I'd be all over that bologna . Your food looks really good .

Looks good! Tough getting that bologna for the mystery meat but appears you did a good job with it. Chupacabra rub? Whats it smell like, dead vampire coyote? Lol j/k. ;)

Everything looks great Rick and those boxes sure look like $$ !
Congrats!
And now you can start planning for the next one !

Keith

Sounds like you had a fun time. Were there any other turn-in options?

I can't help but wonder if some sauce would have helped on the bologna scores? I prefer to serve it with a sweet red sauce.... but a mustard based sauce might be a good fit too. Mystery meat is a real hit and miss. Two of the worst I ever judged were beef cheeks and lamb shanks.
dD3Gp1o.jpg
Your pork box was nice and full. Personally, I have no issues with sliced pork, as long as the tenderness is there. Are those center cut slices? The only possible reason I could see for lower scores would be lack of sauce. For many people, sauce makes the barbecue.

Your beans look great, but flavor profiles are very subjective. For instance, a little bit too spicy can offend a judge. A popular trend for beans is to add pie filling for some of the sweet component. Apple, cherry or peach (diced) all work well. Apple is my favorite.

I can't exactly tell from the photo's, but is your garnish red tip lettuce? For future reference, KCBS rules don't allow it (for some crazy reason) but it does a good job in highlighting the color of the food.

This was not a sanctioned KCBS event. The judging IMHO was kida biased with 2 being the event organizers and friends. When i judged at KCBS we were in a tent with no pitmastesr around and scoring sheets.

But oh well it was fun and next time we know what to do and not to do.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
This was not a sanctioned KCBS event. The judging IMHO was kida biased with 2 being the event organizers and friends. When i judged at KCBS we were in a tent with no pitmastesr around and scoring sheets.

But oh well it was fun and next time we know what to do and not to do.
I kind of figured it wasn't sanctioned, but that doesn't always reflect on the skill of the cooks or food quality. I've both entered and judged some rib contests where the entries were amazing and the competition was fierce.

Celebrity judging can have it's own drawbacks, and I've seen some wonderful situations as well as some really poor situations. And not just in barbecue contests, but in chili competions and steak competitions too.

The bottom line is to have fun

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky