Our buddy, Todd Johnson continues to A-MAZE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shortend

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Waterloo, IA
I've got a pretty long list of "must do" smoking projects. One of them is to roast a whole hog. Well, after being re-inspired by AK1's outstanding spit roast thread, I decided to get off my "duff" and get that hog roast done this year!!

One of the criterea is to get it done without breakin' the bank. After a fair amount of research and considering everthing feasable from Cowgirls Cinderblock Pit to building a Spit Roaster like AK1's. I kind of settled on a La Caja China roaster. It's economical enough, portable enough and easy enough to use, that it will do the job. The only draw back is, it's not practical to try to add smoke. I'm not about to drill any holes to add a PITA smoke generator such as a smoke pistol or a smoke daddy (sorry to offend, but after using the AMNPS, everything else IMHO is a PITA to use). I didn't think the AMNPS would work either. No room under the hog for it, no airflow for it and way too much dripping grease for it to work....... or so I thought.

Well, during my reasearch, low and behold, I ran onto a blog by none other than Mr. La Caja China himself, Perry P. Perkins, extolling the virtues of using the AMNPS for hog roasting. He couldn't have been more complimentory about how well it worked. Simply drop off 2 easily removable end pieces for airflow and place the lit AMNPS on top of the hog over a piece of foil to catch the ash. BINGO! An incredibly economical and reliable smoke source for an economical and reliable hog roaster. Now, that's a match made in heaven in my book! It sure sealed the deal for me! I'm so excited I could just Shhhhhout! 

Here's a link to the blog post:

http://www.burninloveblog.com/

This was posted last summer, so maybe it was already posted here. If so, I completely missed it, so it's a real 
yahoo.gif
 moment for me!!

Thanks for doin' it again Todd. Simply A-MAZE-N.

ShortEnd

Reprinted from the blog:
[h2]Want to turn your La Caja China into an Uber-Smoker?…For free?[/h2]

Rate This

Hey all,

box1.jpg
Okay, so we all know that I love my A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker  (AMNPS)…

Yesterday, I had the honor of sharing this amazing device with none other than my grilling guru, Mr. Steven Raichlen, (author of “The Barbecue Bible”, which is my gold standard for bbq/grilling cookbooks) who had posted the following message on his Facebook page:

“Yes, I’ve used caja chinas & they give you amazingly moist tender pork. Drawback is you don’t get a wood smoker flavor.”

Well, you know I couldn’t let that  go…so I (very politely) replied that you could,indeed, get great smoke flavor in anything you roast in La Caja China, and pointed him to our review of the AMNPS. This morning, the awesome Mr. Raichlen posted the following…

“This in from Perry P: a smoker device you can use with a caja china. I stand corrected & and we all stand to eat like kings!”

smoker1.jpg
Well, needless to say…my hat doesn’t fit too well this morning!

In honor of my 5 seconds of fame, the equally awesome Todd Johnson, over at A-MAZE-N Products, LLC   (owner and creator of the AMNPS) has generously offered to donate a brand new A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker, as a prize for the best barbecue photo posted on ourFacebook page.

As if that  weren’t enough…I’m going to throw in a copy of any one of our barbecue cookbooks (La Caja China Cooking, La Caja China World, or MEAT FIRE GOOD), for the winner, as well…just ’cause.

The rules:
  • 1 photo per person. (G-rated, must be your photo, preferably with no minors in the shot.)
  • We’re looking for finished foodie shots of meat on the grill, in the Caja China, in your Weber, your pit…you name it. Show us what you  would add smoke to, with your free A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker, the next time youbarbecue!
  • Contest ends Wednesday, February 29 (‘cause that’s leap-day, and I thought it was cool.)
  • Please do not post contact/mailing information, we’ll contact the winner.
Oh, and just to tease you…in June, I’m going to give away a MAJOR PRIZE here on Burnin’ Love BBQ (no, not a leg-lamp) for the best photo taken using  the AMNPS! Seriously…this is going to be a biggie!

Any questions? Post them below, or on our Facebook post!

Okay, let’s see ‘em!

-Perry

PS – Again, my review is here, if you’d like to see more of my thoughts on the A-MAZE-N Smoker.

PPS – Make sure to check out Burnin’ Love BBQ’s latest venture,HauteMealz.com, as well!

3 Comments

Filed under ContestsReviews

Tagged as a-maze-namnpsBarbecueContest,cookbookfoodiegrillGrillingLa Caja ChinaLa Caja China Cooking,raichlenroasting boxsmokesmoker

Last edited:
Just ordered mine tonight.  Got the package deal that comes with hickory, oak, cherry, maple along with some extra apple, alder, pecan and a pitmaster blend.  Looking forward to trying it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky