Organ meats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott t

Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
SE Pa
Has anyone tried smoking beef tongue? My guess is that it is possible but you you would have to be real careful to not dry it out. I was also think of a smoked, stuffed beef heart would be delicious. Any suggestions or recipes would be appreciated.

ScottT, When we had the smokehouses, we used to smoke beef tounge all the time. We used to spray inject them with/and then soak them in a brine containing sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. After a two-three day soak in the brine we would rinse them off and hang them in the smokehouse. They would them be smoked at 190 degrees (with apple wood for smoke) until they reached an internal temp of 160 degrees. When the outer membrane is stripped off the tounge, we would either fry up slices for breakfast meat or we would make sammiches out of them with mayo, mustard and a thick slice of red onion between our favorite bread. MMMmmm

yo dude.
any meat smoked is better than
wasting the meat.

i like to throw a lb of braunsweiger
minus the skin ,on for a hr. or 1 1/2 hr.

i do this to fill up the racks.

a law to live by.---dont waste the smoke!!

put some velveeta in a pyrex dish next to the sweiger,---it will melt -but get some smoke.
get some good crackers-pickles and a jalapeno.

man thats a good lunch.
even with tea---lol

Larry, would that be a "Twisted Tea"? When speaking of organ meats my favorite traditional Scottish "sausage" comes to mind: Haggis! I'm gonna do a bit of research and see if I can come up with a recipe for haggis suitable for smoking.
Cheers!
Monty

Monty, Alton Brown has a Haggis recipe on foodnetwork.com. He cooks it by boiling it for three hours but you could probably use this in a water smoker and get by just fine. After seeing him make this on the show and reading the recipe though I'm not sure why anyone would eat this. But to each his own and I hope this works for you.

Thanks for the tip, Lady J! Traditionally haggis is cooked in the ground over hot rocks and hardwood coals. I'll check it out!
Cheers!
Monty

Now, Monty, need I be reminding ya not to forget the neeps and tatties to go with that haggis? And you'll be needing a Piper too at serving time along with a wee dram of the single malt! :mrgreen:

Neeps'n tatties as well as a single malt! Are you sure yer no me grandpap reincarnated?
Cheers!
Monty

And the more power to ya man! I took piping lessons some years back (okay, a LOT of years back) and after some very unsuccesful attempts at making a sound come out of the practice chanter other than that of a dying goat, the Instructor took the chanter from me and handed me a set of drum sticks and introduced me to the Drum Major!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky